Happy Holidays

Say hello here!

Re: Happy Holidays

Postby Shaos » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:52 am

KenG wrote:Once you get that going, you need to install a battery and the clock software.

This was my 2nd question - which exact software I should use to setup the clock and feed date/time to DOS on boot?
Shaos

Postby Shaos » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:11 am

Shaos wrote:
Hargle wrote:Assuming it is supported in DOS 3.2, try "fdisk /mbr" and reboot. Lots and lots of boot issues on the XT-IDE project have been resolved with that simple step.

yea, I didn't do this one - will check this evening, thanks!

Another question - anybody tried 2 CFs on JR-IDE? One as Master and another one as Slave? I found dual adapters 2CF-to-IDE on Ebay and just curious if it's supported here...
Shaos

Postby Brutman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:18 am

I've never used the clock on the jrIDE ... the software is floating around with a link somewhere in the forums; I'll get that fixed so that it is in a more easily discovered location.

As for 2 CF cards, I wouldn't try that just yet. I'm looking to get some time to scrub the BIOS code and make sure nothing terrible happens. It's based on Hargle's original BIOS for the XT-IDE so there are some weak spots, like error handling.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby alanh » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:30 am

The clock utility is available here:

https://www.retrotronics.org/jride/
alanh

Postby KenG » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:35 am

Getting the BIOS fixed so that two devices work would be great. DOM as master and CF slave for file transfers and backing up the DOM. I use my Parallel port CF now, but it is slow and the driver software is rather large.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby Shaos » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:11 am

alanh wrote:The clock utility is available here:

https://www.retrotronics.org/jride/

Oh, in "Related Files" on the left of the page - I didn't notice it right away :)

P.S. I found instructions how to use it: http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2014/03/ibm-pcjr-upgrades.html
The RTC is a Dallas 12887 module, and is socketed for replacement. The date and time is set by a program called rtc, loaded in the autoexec.bat file on startup. IRQ 1, 2 or 7 can be selected for its operation. I suggest IRQ2 because the parallel port uses IRQ7 and the keyboard on a regular PC uses IRQ1, which could possibly confuse some programs that are not PCjr-aware. The Speech Attachment also uses IRQ1.

In order to set the date and time, you will need a small program called rtc.com, available here:
http://www.retrotronics.org/svn/jride/t ... ebuilt/jr/

To set the date and time for the RTC, first, set the correct date and time in DOS using the DATE and TIME commands. Next, run the rtc.com program with the /r switch. This will send the date and time you told DOS to the RTC. Finally, add the rtc.com program to your autoexec.bat file with the /d switch. Upon every bootup, this will fetch the correct date and time from the RTC and automatically set it in DOS.
Shaos

Postby Hargle » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:04 pm

Getting the BIOS fixed so that two devices work would be great. DOM as master and CF slave for file transfers and backing up the DOM. I use my Parallel port CF now, but it is slow and the driver software is rather large.

Two drives on the jrIDE works just fine. I did this not too long ago:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=180&start=440#p1934

The BIOS has full support for two drives. The bug Mike is referring to is that it isn't correctly catching access to a 2nd drive when it doesn't exist, so in fact you're going to be LESS buggy if you run both drives at the same time. :)
Hargle

Postby Shaos » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Hargle wrote:

Two drives on the jrIDE works just fine. I did this not too long ago:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=180&start=440#p1934

The BIOS has full support for two drives. The bug Mike is referring to is that it isn't correctly catching access to a 2nd drive when it doesn't exist, so in fact you're going to be LESS buggy if you run both drives at the same time. :)

Thanks! I thought something like that when I saw how jrIDE BIOS was hanging for a while on 2nd drive detection ;)
Shaos

Postby Shaos » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Finally :)

Boot takes 72 seconds from Power-Off and 48 seconds by Alt-Ctrl-Del :roll:

P.S. Disk D was created by JRCONFIG.SYS /V32 /L /R
Attachments
PCjr-VC-mem.jpg
(228.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PCjr-VC.jpg
(208.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Shaos