Large files transfer to the PCjr

General discussions on the PCjr

Large files transfer to the PCjr

Postby Vorticon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi.
What is the best way to transfer large files to the PCjr equipped with a JrIDE? I personally have used CDs since I have a backpack CDROM on my system. For files <720K, I just use a floppy disk with my backpack 3.5" drive.
Can I take the CompactFlash card out of the interface, plug it into my PC's reader and transfer files directly to it without corrupting it?
Vorticon

Re: Large files transfer to the PCjr

Postby KenG » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:26 pm

I think you need to make sure your jr is off when you plug or unplug the CF card, but that should work. I have a paralel port CF reader that is hot swappable that I use from transferring downloads from my modern PC to the jr all of the time. The only problem I found is that I had to format the CF card on the jr before use. If I didn't, sometimes the modern PC could see the files but the jr couldn't.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby Brutman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:49 pm

If you are going to take the CF card and put it on another DOS system, you will be fine.

Windows is kind of a problem - it will write metadata for things like long-filenames that a straight DOS machine would not expect to be present. It is supposed to be transparent, but I still don't want Windows mucking with the filesystem that way.

I use networking for nearly everything. Even with a Xircom parallel port Ethernet adapter you can still get 30KB per second transfer speeds.

Another possibility is a parallel port Zip drive. You'll need either the PalmZip drivers which limits you to 30MB per partition on the Zip drive (but you can have three partitions) or a NEC V20 to use the standard Iomega Guest software.

SCSI Zip drives with a parallel to SCSI adapter can use standard ASPI drivers, but that's a more complicated setup.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:58 pm

I have a zip drive on my Jr, but these do not work on modern Windows PC's anymore, so I used it for backup only. I did not know that the Iomega guest program worked on the Jr with a V20 which is installed on my system!
I very much like the idea of networking my Jr. I have the Xircom adapter and your mTcp suite and I occasionally telnet a few BBS's. Could you please give me some pointers how to get the PCjr to show up on my home network?
I did copy a few files to the CF directly from my Windows PC without problems except the long filename issue you mentioned, but I'd rather avoid mucking up with that if there is a chance of the file system getting corrupted.
Vorticon

Postby Trixter » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:19 pm

I use mTCP's FTP Server, and then I copy things to it using FIleZilla which handles recursing down directories and so forth. It can take all night to copy 1G over, but it does work.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby Vorticon » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:29 pm

OK I'll give it a try. Should be fun :)
Vorticon

Postby Vorticon » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:00 pm

The FTP server works great! That is probably the easiest way to do the file transfers...
BTW, the Iomega guest program did not work on my system. All I got was screen corruption and a hung system...
Vorticon

Postby Brutman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:24 pm

Do you have a NEC V20? (I thought I mentioned that GUEST requires one.)
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:32 am

Brutman wrote:Do you have a NEC V20? (I thought I mentioned that GUEST requires one.)

I do.
Vorticon

Postby Vorticon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:46 am

Is there a way to have the PCjr show up on network discovery under Windows 10 rather than go through FTP?
Vorticon

Next

Return to PCjr General Discussion