"Fill your jrIDE" project now ready for testing

General discussions on the PCjr

Re: "Fill your jrIDE" project now ready for testing

Postby Vorticon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Yes, all the files are on the root directory of C: drive, and have been from the beginning, and this is where I am starting TDL from. The only folder I had on CDROM was the FILES directory with all the zip files, but I even moved that to C: drive and I still get the same error... The TDL.INI is directed to C:\FILES for the repository. Again I don't get why the first version of TDL works and the following versions do not without the -r switch. Very puzzling...
I'll play with it some more tomorrow...
Vorticon

Postby Vorticon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:47 am

So I gave it another shot before leaving for work this morning. I cleared all the attributes on all the TDL files and double checked the TDL.INI, with no change. Still getting the same error.
I'm not sure what else to do at this point... I can still use TDL with the -r switch although I lose the Favorites option.
Any idea why the original TDL version is not affected?
Vorticon

Postby Trixter » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:47 pm

I'm not sure, so I'm going to add a metric ton of messages and error checking around that code and upload a new build for you to test so that hopefully it can be narrowed down.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby Vorticon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:29 pm

Sounds like a plan :) Regardless, I've been playing with the original TDL quite a bit, and so far I have not seen any bugs and have discovered many new games in the process. I also noticed that you had GWBASIC in the Utilities folder which actually runs as is on my system, albeit with a weird color scheme (white on yellow), and with the full 60K or so of available memory! Nothing a COLOR statement can't change though. This is the first time I have been able to run GWBASIC properly in an expanded PCjr with Jrcongig... Neat!
Vorticon

Postby Vorticon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:17 am

Out of curiosity, I transferred the TDL files to one of the partitions on my Zip drive but kept the repository on the CDROM. The original version of TDL worked perfectly, albeit a bit slow. Same error issue with the later versions. I like having TDL running from the zip drive. The CF cards have a finite write lifespan and I want to try to mitigate that a bit...
Vorticon

Postby Trixter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 am

A DOS system performs so few writes that I'm not worried one bit about the write cycle lifespan.

Okay, so I'm really concerned that the new version is crapping out on your system and I really want to get to the bottom of this. Grab this new build: ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/temp/TDL.EXE
and run it normally and see if it works. If it doesn't, run it again with "-d" and tell me everything it prints out (you may want to use a screendump program, or take a picture with your cell phone, or something).
Trixter

Postby Vorticon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Still no dice. Here's a snapshot of the screen. My cache.dat directory is under c:\temp as initially set up by the original version of the TDL package. Could the new version be looking for it somewhere else?

Vorticon

Postby Trixter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:05 pm

The double-backslash is likely borking it. This is because you're running TDL from the root directory, which I didn't think anyone would do. While I put in a safeguard against that, try moving the TDL files to a subdirectory and testing again. I'll post a fix later.
Trixter

Postby Vorticon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:19 pm

OK I moved all the TDL files and directories to a separate folder, and everything is now working. Yay! Love the Favorites functionality.
Why would it have been a problem running TDL from the root directory? I suppose it's generally considered a no no to run any executable directly from root, but I've been doing it for decades and it saves on typing :mrgreen:
Vorticon

Postby Trixter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:57 pm

(Doesn't a messy root directory bother you?) If you want to try running a bugfixed version from the root directory, try ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/temp/TDL.EXE as it should work. I tested it successfully from my C: root directory (shudder).
Trixter

PreviousNext

Return to PCjr General Discussion