Large files transfer to the PCjr

General discussions on the PCjr

Re: Large files transfer to the PCjr

Postby Trixter » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:37 pm

MS Lan Manager can mount a share as a drive letter in DOS. However, it takes up ~200K of RAM and might not work with Windows 10. Someone wrote a guide on getting it to work about 7-8 years ago but I don't know if they ever released it. I wasted an afternoon trying to get it to work and gave up. https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Config ... amba_Share might be helpful.

There is a project in the works to share a linux mount as a drive letter in DOS but I don't recall how far along the project is. Edit: It seems very far along! This may work the best if you have a Linux fileserver at home.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby Vorticon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Unfortunately I don't use Linux much. As much as I like it, it has proven to be impractical for me. There was a time when I completely ditched Windows for Linux, and I lasted about a couple of months :D The situation has improved since, but there are a lot of specialized applications that I use that simply have no counterpart in Linux, and dual-booting is inconvenient at best.
I have contemplated setting up a Linux box for hobby purposes, but I just don't have the space for it at the moment...
Vorticon

Postby Trixter » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:42 pm

There's always virtualization (ie. run virtualbox on your desktop machine and run a linux distro inside it)
Trixter

Postby NTEPB » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:03 pm

Someone wrote a guide on getting it to work about 7-8 years ago

That someone would be me. :mrgreen:

For those of you that don't know, I wrote a guide several years ago on how to connect a DOS-based computer (such as the PCjr) to a Windows (XP or Server 2003) computer using only one bootable floppy diskette. I've never liked the idea of switching diskettes during boot time. Plus, I love having multiple gigabytes (or even terabytes) at my disposal from my 8088 machines. ;)

The secret (If you want to call it that) is using MS LAN Manager with either the TCP/IP or NetBEUI protocol. The harder part is configuring Windows network security to accept a lower security standard, which can be exploited (this is well-documented on the internet). Using LAN Manager, it does take up a considerable amount of conventional RAM, but it does work pretty well. NetBEUI is considerably faster than TCP/IP and takes less conventional RAM, but it's incompatible with 64-bit Windows.

Vorticon, if want to try this with Windows 10, I can e-mail you version 1 of my guide; just send me a private message with your e-mail address.

Trixter, you're correct in that I haven't released my guide for general distribution...yet. After all these years, I just blew the dust off a lot of my vintage computers, and I'm trying to find more free time to work on version 2, which will include more software packages (such as MS Network Client) and more modern-day operating systems (not just Windows).

Thanks for reading!
Jon
NTEPB

Postby Trixter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Super-happy that you resurfaced! Hey, I remember your v1 guide still being quite helpful; you should put it online just for the benefit of those who want to give it a shot.
Trixter

Postby NTEPB » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks, Trixter! There are various reasons that I can't really post v1 online yet. When I get version 2 up & running, I'll be able to post those instructions online. I'm currently testing a LOT more network cards with my 5150 & 5160 computers with even more 'server' operating systems.

When I get it all tested, I'll gladly post those steps!

Jon
NTEPB

Previous

Return to PCjr General Discussion