PCjr Memory Board (Racore / Radrive II, A2101 board)

Hardware questions and modifications

Re: PCjr Memory Board (Racore / Radrive II, A2101 board)

Postby rvdbijl » Tue May 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Haha! The dime is in there because I didn't have a CR2032, but I had a CR2016. Same 3V, just thinner.. So I put in the dime to make sure it makes good contact.
And yes, it's just for the RTC. I can't imagine it has anything to do with the RAM board. :)

Oh, and Alan was kind enough to sell me a kit for the JrIDE, so I should be all set with this thing. Question is whether or not I'll keep the Radrive or not... The drive works, as does the RTC. Just the memory board appears to be toast.. Anyone interested?
rvdbijl

Postby KenG » Tue May 23, 2017 5:19 pm

I have a parallel port sidecar modified to be bidirectional and have both a backpack 3.5" 1.44mb drive and a Datafab CF reader. Since the JRIDE gives you max memory and a RTC, The drive two unit is no longer needed. I may someday set mine back up on a second JR just because that is what users of that era would have had. Don't have space fore it now.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby OldComputerGuy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:29 am

KenG wrote:I am fairly sure the battery only powers the clock and would not cause the issues he is having.

Oh, OK. I thought it might have been a BIOS battery and all his BIOS settings were getting reset every time the machine was powered off or else an issue like old Macs where they won't boot if they have a bad BIOS battery.
OldComputerGuy

Previous

Return to PCjr Hardware