GOG Games on PCjr

Software related questions

GOG Games on PCjr

Postby redmagehat » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:49 pm

I've been futzing about with trying to get a few GOG games to run on my Jr. I don't currently have a mass storage device - just sporting a single 512k memory attachment. The tricky part is getting the games separated into individual 360k floppies. Here's a few I've tried:

Space Quest 1
Space Quest 2
Leisure Suit Larry 1

I own some original King's Quest 3 floppies and took a look at their file structures to see how the volumes are separated. It appears that anything beyond Disk 1 holds the "Vol.0" file, the "Vol.x" file (depends on disk number) and the "Object" file.

Attempting to structure the disks the same way using GOG files results in "That is the wrong disk" errors, most often after the game asks for Disk 2 following launch. I'm wondering if the GOG process for prepping these games for emulators has compromised them in some way. I've read that Sierra cracked them before re-releasing them, so I'm betting that it's not a copy-protection problem.

Any ideas/experiences?
redmagehat

Re: GOG Games on PCjr

Postby Trixter » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:49 pm

While many GOG games have indeed been prepped for emulators only, the issue you're running into is simply not knowing what files belong on what disk. Adding to the problem is that some games detected which disk was inserted based on the volume label, which most people don't think to preserve.

If you want to try to reassemble some of your files back onto original disks, you can try this: http://ia601604.us.archive.org/zipview. ... _04_23.zip Otherwise, you'll have to do some internet searching to find images of the disks you're trying to reconstruct.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby redmagehat » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:05 pm

Thanks for the link and I'll definitely double-check the volume labels, that could very well be the problem.
redmagehat

Postby redmagehat » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:39 pm

Update - you were absolutely right about the label, Trixter. I copied King's Quest 2's disk images to actual floppies (which preserved the labels) and then replaced "sierra.com" with "kq2.com" from my GOG downloads. Worked like a charm.
redmagehat

Postby Hargle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:05 am

FWIW, if you come across any other games you need to restore onto floppies, contact me. Chances are that I have a disk image for any game you'd want to play and will gladly list the files out for you as needed.
Hargle

Return to PCjr Software