Hi there

Say hello here!

Hi there

Postby riq » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi,

Somewhat new to the 8088 world. Started with a Tandy 1000 HX, and now exploring the PCJr world.
From what I read so far, this is probably the slowest PC out there. yay! :-)

I like to develop software for old machines. Started a few years ago with the c64 (6502 world) and now learning 8088.
riq

Re: Hi there

Postby KenG » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Welcome. It is slow, but the graphics and sound are good for that time.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby Brutman » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi Riq,

Remember, it's slow only in the first 128KB. If you add more memory to it and reserve as much as you can of the first 128KB for a RAM drive or video, your programs will run above that and they will be relatively normal on speed. Also, ROM on the PCjr is slightly faster than on a PC or XT so interpreted BASIC really flies! (Did I just say that? Nevermind ...)

I do a bit of programming too. If you are going to code directly on the PCjr then Turbo Pascal 3 is reasonably good. For C you are better off using Turbo C++ 3.0 (C and C++) or Watcom on a better machine and cross compiling for the PCjr.

-Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby riq » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks.

Brutman wrote:I do a bit of programming too. If you are going to code directly on the PCjr then Turbo Pascal 3 is reasonably good. For C you are better off using Turbo C++ 3.0 (C and C++) or Watcom on a better machine and cross compiling for the PCjr.
-Mike

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll do cross-assembler with nasm. Although the workflow is far from optimal: 3 machines involved (developers machine + emulator, machine which has 5 1/4 floppy drive, pcjr).
If I can get a JrIde I might try to code directly in the machine.
riq

Return to Introductions