File ext. for appending

Post here for administrative stuff

File ext. for appending

Postby southernbob » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:03 pm

Mike, what file extensions are turned on for uploading/appending to this forum?
southernbob

Re: File ext. for appending

Postby Brutman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:18 pm

Bob -

The filename or extension should not matter. You should be able to upload files up to 100KB in size, and up to 10 files per post. I just bumped the limit to 1MB.

If it was a filesize problem, try again. If you still have problems I'll try to recreate this tonight from home.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby southernbob » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:45 pm

Mike, yesterday I tried appending a TXT file and also a ASM file and it said something like "TXT (also ASM) files
are not supported on this forum". The only thing it allowed was JPG files and it told me if they were
too big (>100K). The TXT file was only like 8-9 K so it wasn't the size it was the ext. Don't you have to select
somewhere in the code what file ext's are allowed on your forum?
Thanks, Bob
southernbob

Postby Brutman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:30 pm

Well, that was new to me - try again, I think I made those attachments kosher now ...

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby southernbob » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:16 pm

It took the TXT file OK, but when I selected it I thought it would open in NOTEPAD
but it went right to the SAVE/CANCEL screen for downloading it. With JPG files
they will open in the JPG viewer so it can be seen without downloading. I don't know
what the difference is, but it looks like your "kosher" fix worked and allowed the file
to be appended.
Thanks, Bob
Attachments
This is a TXT file.txt
(175 Bytes) Downloaded 1245 times
southernbob

Postby Brutman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:59 pm

You would not believe how complex PHPBB .. I thought it was just enough to turn on a check mark to allow attachments to messages. Wow - a whole other universe opened up once I went down the path ..

Anyway, it seems to work, so we'll call it good. And I didn't pay for any of the software so I'm happy overall - I really should contribute to their beer fund.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby southernbob » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:54 pm

We are glad to have you to figure out all that complex stuff. There are probably alot of other
options available in that program that add to the complexity, PM (private message), gallery (for saving pictures),
etc. Thanks for your efforts in keeping this forum going. By the way do you you ever hear from Brian H. and
Axatax as they both had alot of PCJR knowledge?
Thanks again, Bob

PS: Is there a list of allowable EXT's for appending ? (is PDF included?)
southernbob

Postby Brutman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:37 pm

The complexity is unnecessary .. Here is a list of extensions that are *not* allowed at the moment: mp3, mpeg, mpg, ogg, ogm, swf, 3g2, 3gp, m4a, m4v, mov, mp4, qt, wma, wmv, ram, and rm. Almost anything else, including PDF, should be ok now.

Brian H has shown up once or twice in the past few years. Axatax (Jeff I) has just about disappeared .. I'd love to hear from both of those guys again. Both were sucked up by the military in the past few years; Brian was active and Jeff was called up.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Return to Forum Support