SD-Cart JR: An MMC/SD card reader cartridge

Hardware questions and modifications

~

Postby Fenyx4 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:31 am

raphnet wrote:
raphnet wrote:So sadly I can't get to the 'p' command.
This is from a freshly opened one without me having messed around with it.

Please try the new release (v03). I modified sdpart.com to display card information before attempting to read the MBR. Maybe it will show something that will help me understand how I could support it...


Code: Select all
SDpart version 0.3
Partition tool for SD-Cart JR
Running on DOS 5.0

Initializing card... OK
Card: 74/J' (Transcend) SDC  v1.0
    Serial 38 00 EC CE , OCR: 80FF800
    SD Version 1.0, Byte-addressed
    Sectors: 0x003BD800
    SD-Cart geometry: CHS=244,255,63


Dunno if this is pertinent but I stuck to SD Card in a linux machine and did this

Code: Select all
#fdisk -l

<snip>

Disk /dev/sde: 1.9 GiB, 2008023040 bytes, 3921920 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device     Boot Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sde1         255 3921919 3921665  1.9G  6 FAT16

#parted /dev/sde

GNU Parted 3.2
Using /dev/sde
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) unit chs print                                                   
Model: Generic- USB3.0 CRW-SM/xD (scsi)
Disk /dev/sde: 972,44,43
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
BIOS cylinder,head,sector geometry: 972,64,63.  Each cylinder is 2064kB.
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number  Start  End        Type     File system  Flags
 1      0,4,3  972,44,43  primary  fat16

(parted)


The CHS doesn't match.
When I do the same things with the Sandisk sdcard that works the CHS matches.
Fenyx4
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Re: SD-Cart JR: An MMC/SD card reader cartridge

Postby Fenyx4 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:39 am

FYI with the new version I was able to use my larger sd cards! Yay!!

8GB SanDisk MiscroSD HC
256GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSD XC

Had to stick smaller FAT partitions on them of course. Nice thing was I could put a small partition on and then fill the rest with a large partition and the small partition still worked.
Fenyx4
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Re: SD-Cart JR: An MMC/SD card reader cartridge

Postby Trixter » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:08 pm

Is any sort of firmware, flashing, or BIOS replacement necessary to take advantage of 2G+ cards, or is the software update all you need?
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter
 
Posts: 677
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:00 am
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: SD-Cart JR: An MMC/SD card reader cartridge

Postby Fenyx4 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:18 pm

Trixter wrote:Is any sort of firmware, flashing, or BIOS replacement necessary to take advantage of 2G+ cards, or is the software update all you need?


I only did the software update and that got it working.
Fenyx4
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Re: SD-Cart JR: An MMC/SD card reader cartridge

Postby Fenyx4 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:50 pm

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like me to try with these Transcend cards. I'd even be willing to send you one.

Otherwise I'm sticking them in a drawer and forgetting about them for now as I got plenty of other cards that work.

Been playing games off of it.
It pairs really nicely with the jrIDE. I can use it to transfer files to the jrIDE without having to power down the Pcjr entirely and pull out the CF.
Fenyx4
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Re: SD-Cart JR: An MMC/SD card reader cartridge

Postby raphnet » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:13 am

Fenyx4 wrote:Code: Select all
SDpart version 0.3
Partition tool for SD-Cart JR
Running on DOS 5.0

Initializing card... OK
Card: 74/J' (Transcend) SDC v1.0
Serial 38 00 EC CE , OCR: 80FF800
SD Version 1.0, Byte-addressed
Sectors: 0x003BD800
SD-Cart geometry: CHS=244,255,63

Sorry for the delay! Unfortunately I do not see anything wrong in the above, or anything that would explain why reading the MBR fails...
Could you try this build of sdpart.com? I've enabled error tracing, knowing exactly where it fails should help.
https://www.raphnet.net/electronique/sd ... _debug.zip
raphnet
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:52 pm

Re: SD-Cart JR: An MMC/SD card reader cartridge

Postby Fenyx4 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:36 pm

raphnet wrote:Sorry for the delay! Unfortunately I do not see anything wrong in the above, or anything that would explain why reading the MBR fails...
Could you try this build of sdpart.com? I've enabled error tracing, knowing exactly where it fails should help.
https://www.raphnet.net/electronique/sd ... _debug.zip


No worries. Gave me time to work on other stuff. (Which I'll hopefully be posting here soon. ;) )

Code: Select all
    SDpart version 0.3
    Partition tool for SD-Cart JR
    Running on DOS 5.0

    Initializing card... OK
    Card: 74/J' (Transcend) SDC  v1.0
        Serial 38 00 EC CE , OCR: 80FF800
        SD Version 1.0, Byte-addressed
        Sectors: 0x003BD800
        SD-Cart geometry: CHS=244,255,63
E2 Error reading boot sector
Fenyx4
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Re: SD-Cart JR: An MMC/SD card reader cartridge

Postby Fenyx4 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:02 pm

I took raphnet's 3d print cartridge case from here https://www.raphnet.net/electronique/pc ... dex_en.php

Had a friend print it off for me and then made some modifications with an xacto knife.

Turned out pretty good!

https://youtu.be/oIkADjsC828

Wish I had stl modifying skills so I could make updates to it so an xacto knife wasn't necessary.
Fenyx4
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Re: SD-Cart JR: An MMC/SD card reader cartridge

Postby raphnet » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:54 pm

Fenyx4 wrote:E2 Error reading boot sector

Thank you for testing! Ok, so E2 means a timeout waiting for the data packet from the card. Maybe this card is a bit slower than others? (or do you have a V20 CPU?)
Here is another debug build which will wait 4 times longer. Could you tell me if it makes any difference?

Fenyx4 wrote:I took raphnet's 3d print cartridge case from here https://www.raphnet.net/electronique/pc ... dex_en.php

Had a friend print it off for me and then made some modifications with an xacto knife.

Turned out pretty good!

https://youtu.be/oIkADjsC828

Wish I had stl modifying skills so I could make updates to it so an xacto knife wasn't necessary.

Nice! Maybe I don't see it, but did you drill a small hole to let the activity LED shine through? Or perhaps you simply trimmed the enclosure "lip" near the LED?

I should have released a slotted cartridge STL already... I'll try sharing a new STL with a built-in slot in a few days.
raphnet
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:52 pm

Re: SD-Cart JR: An MMC/SD card reader cartridge

Postby raphnet » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:01 pm

raphnet wrote:Here is another debug build which will wait 4 times longer. Could you tell me if it makes any difference?

Sorry, here it is: https://www.raphnet.net/electronique/sd ... debug2.zip
raphnet
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:52 pm

PreviousNext

Return to PCjr Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron