What's needed to get this running?

Hardware questions and modifications

What's needed to get this running?

Postby bikeguychicago » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:50 am

Having owned a PCjr in my youth, this auction caught my eye.
Having watched a number of jr-related videos on YouTube, I'm aware of the pico ATX power supply mod for the main portion of the jr. However, what would be needed in order to power the Racore drive on the attachment? Also, will the pico provide enough power for both the main unit plus the Racore sidecar?

Thanks!
bikeguychicago

Re: What's needed to get this running?

Postby DarkStar2032 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:16 pm

Can't say myself for certain. But try this...
http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/docs/Rappor ... lation.pdf
It might point you in the right direction.
Hi-ho, KERMIT the computer file transfer/management protocol here.
And welcome to NULL MODEM Street.
DarkStar2032

Postby Brutman » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:06 am

During a "senior" moment I started composing a reply and then got distracted. Here it is, half a day late ...

That is a reasonable price if it stays in that price range. At $200 I start to cringe, not because the machine is not interesting, but because my wife might kill me and sell my stuff. (Editor's note: it did not even sell at the starting price of $150.)

The power supply inside of the Jr can be replaced easily. The Racore expansion needs a PCjr power brick, but ultimately it gets turned into 12V and 5V. So you should be able to remove the second stage of the power supply that is internal to the expansion chassis and adapt something else to provide power. (Even a 4 pin Molex connector running from a replacement power supply in the main unit should be able to provide the power you need for the expansion chassis, unless a huge hard drive is in it.)
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Gremlin5 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:36 pm

I was watching that auction curious if that was a 512KB unit or the 640KB one. I wanted to message the seller for a pic with the top cover off so I could tell but was afraid I might end up with my 3rd Racore unit so best to not ask questions.

I would think a pico ATX should supply enough power for both but cant say for sure but I believe those units output at least as much as 2x what the standard PCjr runs on.

I was able to find 3 PCjr power bricks from sellers that had no idea what they were used for as they were not branded IBM PCjr but I believe were the bricks that racore used as they were the same Ault 394-5616 units just minus the IBM branding and only cost me $10 to $15. If they had that IBM branding on them they probably would have been trying to sell them for 3x to 4x the price.
Gremlin5

Postby ckreling » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:57 am

I purchased my PCJr with Racore expansion for 195. It came with the keyboard, the two power bricks and two additional sidecars (IBM printer and memory - so its a 640K machine), joystick, some software. Great machine. It was also guaranteed to be working.
ckreling

Return to PCjr Hardware