XT-IDE on PCjr

Hardware questions and modifications

Re: XT-IDE on PCjr

Postby Hargle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:34 am

Brutman wrote:I thought there was a clock set utility already ...

I've got a bug fix for the BIOS for when a hard drive is not connected - right now it loops in an error state. Now it will correctly report that no hard drives are attached.

Next I am going to start working on adding the AT real time clock BIOS calls to the BIOS so that we would get native timekeeping through DOS without a command line program. But getting started is tough during the summer because there is a lot going on.

Hmm, where is this clock set utility? is it specific for our hardware or is it a generic thing? Source? I've totally missed it.

Yes, the AT RTC BIOS calls are the bits I'm referring to getting added into our BIOS. I'd love for this thing to just keep track of the time on its own at every bootup.

For a quick reference, here's an overview of the interface:
http://www.lpjjl.net/pgm/fichiers/docasm/RTC.txt

I'd think we could implement a reduced set of functionality (has anyone ever used the alarm function for example?) By doing so it appears we can eliminate the data written into the BIOS data area; those bytes are likely not available for us to use on the PCJr anyway.

If we have a full array of CMOS memory with this RTC, we could even store XTIDE settings in there instead of having them hard coded in the BIOS image itself. This would require an interactive BIOS setup interface (like Adaptec's Ctrl-A setup).

I'm building up a few more of these sidecars over the next couple weeks, so I am kind of on a PCjr buzz right now...
Hargle

Postby jmetal88 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:03 pm

You should have recieved the RTC program as an attachment in an e-mail from Alan.

I've attached it to the post in case you can't find it, though. I believe this is the working one, or at least this is the one Alan sent out right after I informed him of an error in the source code that caused it not to work properly. If I remember correctly, this release did fix the problem I had been observing.
Attachments
rtc.zip
(9.25 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
jmetal88

Postby alanh » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:14 pm

Ah yes, sorry I haven't been checking in as often as I should. Yes that clock util should work but that zip doesn't jride.h or the Makefile. Attaching it. You can also get the same code one a public SVN at http://www.retrotronics.org/svn/jride/trunk

The RTC clock is mapped at the standard AT location in the standard way - RTC register address @ 0x70 and data @ 0x71.

There's also a register at I/O 0x72 that allows you to turn off the POST display. Might be a good idea to do that once the BIOS chains to the loaded boot sector. The RTCPOST PLD source code has a description of each of the bits.
Attachments
jride-08022012.zip
(13.28 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
alanh

Postby jltursan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:04 am

I've been peeking some information of this thread (my excuses, too long to fully read it! :oops: ) and I'm not sure if alanh still has jr-IDE kits available. I suposse that mailing him is the way to go, isn't it?.
jltursan

Postby jmetal88 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:16 pm

jltursan wrote:I've been peeking some information of this thread (my excuses, too long to fully read it! :oops: ) and I'm not sure if alanh still has jr-IDE kits available. I suposse that mailing him is the way to go, isn't it?.

Yeah, just send him a message. I'm sure he still at least has some PCBs.
jmetal88

Postby jltursan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:50 pm

Alright then, PM sent. Thanks!
jltursan

Postby jltursan » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:02 am

Yay!, the jr-IDE card is here!. I'll try to find time this (short) weekend to start testing it. Is there any configuration/installation guide, tutorial or manual available out of this thread?

Thanks alanh!
jltursan

Postby alanh » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:53 am

Not really - my apologies. I believe Mike is working on aggregating some of the information here. Couple things that are noticeably missing from the data set are a compatible device list and getting started steps. I've found most real hard drives work very well. I've had problems with Transcend PATA flash disk modules and have had no trouble with Kingston. I'm sure there are a few people here with more testing than I. The silkscreen provides dip-switch help. It should have arrived in a working configuration @ address 0xc0000. Just plug it in and it should tick up to 640K on the power on check. With jrconfig you should be able to realize 736K DOS memory ceiling. The attachment above on this page has the RTC clock utility and a reflash utility that will allow you to put Mike's newest BIOS on the card.
alanh

Postby Brutman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:26 pm

Yes, I'm going to aggregate the good parts and post a page on the jrIDE.

With the latest version of the BIOS that I posted the BIOS will count to 640KB, but the jrIDE BIOS ROM will bump that to 736KB. You need to use Jrconfig to move the video memory around, but you should not need to use the option to scan for and recognize extra memory.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Brutman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi all ...

I'm making a list of devices (drives or otherwise) known to work on the jrIDE. Please post here or send a private message or email; it will be posted on a web page shortly.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to PCjr Hardware