DOM for jrIDE

Hardware questions and modifications

DOM for jrIDE

Postby PNKlett » Fri May 10, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi Everyone!, I'm just curious what DOM some people are using for the jrIDE. I received my 8GB DOM from KingSpec, and I can't get it to be recognized. Here it says it will work, am I doing something wrong?http://www.brutman.com/jrIDE/jrIDE.html.

Can anybody suggest something or recommend a DOM that works, that's in the GB range.

Also, what about the dip switches?

Thanks.

Paul
PNKlett

Re: DOM for jrIDE

Postby Hargle » Fri May 10, 2013 3:54 pm

The 2 kingspec DOMs I've tried work just fine.
Details here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=180&start=440#p1934

Your dipswitches should all be OFF except #6.

Questions for you to help us debug:
1) when you power on your JR, do you get the 7 segment LEDs to display numbers?
2) when your PCjr is finished counting memory, do you get 640k?
3) when your PCjr is finished counting memory and the screen clears, do you see the IDEjr BIOS sign-on screen? It should show some simple text on the screen and show/attempt to detect 2 IDE devices attached.
4) which kingspec DOM do you have? There's pictures in my above link.
5) Do you have JP1 enabled to supply 5v to your DOM to power it, or are you powering it externally?
Hargle

Postby PNKlett » Fri May 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi Hargle,
I'm trying to use this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-DOM-Disk-On-Module-8GB-40Pins-44Pins-Vertical-IDE-FLASH-Interface-PATA-MLC-/290753817566?pt=US_USB_Flash_Drives&hash=item43b2472bde

To the 1st question -letters and numbers.
2nd- The jr counts to 640kb and on the jride screen, it says 736kb
3rd- It says 'not installed' for both
4th- I have a 40pin , 8gb , the one in my link.
5th- I tried the jumper and it didn't work.

The way the pins are, I need a vertical DOM.

Thanks.

Paul

edit: I was sent a 16gb DOM instead of the 8gb DOM. Well, the 16gb DOM doesn't work. Emailed for the right one.
PNKlett

Postby Hargle » Sat May 11, 2013 7:44 am

Hmmmm, you're 99% of the way there it looks like. I don't have any simple solutions as you are at the stage where it really should do what it is supposed to do.

You could try powering the DOM using the power attachment that came with it- you'd probably have to frankenstein a power source- perhaps move another machine close to the PCjr and use power from it for testing.

Of course you should try that DOM in another box too- if it doesn't work there, then DOM itself is broken. the size of it should not matter at all.
I've had really good luck with kingspec DOMs. I have 3 IDEjrs with kingspec DOMs and they all worked immediately.

That said, I also have an SSD of theirs which uses SATA 2 connectors and it only works on 1 out of 5 machines I've tried it on. Total junk.
Hargle

Postby PNKlett » Sat May 11, 2013 11:33 am

Hargle, I emailed about the mistake, and they are sending me the right one.

I never Frankensteined a power source before. Not sure how to do it.

Other than that, just have to wait now for the other DOM.

Thanks.

Paul

edit : Hargle, would you want the 16gb DOM? Let me know!.
PNKlett

Postby Hargle » Sun May 12, 2013 11:26 am

to frankenstein a power source, i just mean to move another PC physically next to the PCjr. Take a power lead from the other PC over to the jr to power the DOM while it is in the PCjr. turn on the other PC first, then turn on the jr.
Since there aren't really any other available power sources inside the jr, that would be the quickest way to ensure proper power delivery is making it to the DOM.

I suppose also verifying 100% that pin 1 of the DOM is in the correct orientation too would help. It's not well labeled on the silkscreen of the IDEjr, but the bottom right pin is pin one, marked with a square instead of a circle.

PM sent about the DOM offer. thank you!
Hargle

Postby Brutman » Sun May 12, 2013 12:12 pm

I still need to purchase some of these. Who are the good sources?
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby James » Tue May 14, 2013 8:00 pm

I purchased several DOMs on ebay from this company. I bought a 32 MB and two 128 MB.

http://stores.ebay.com/MemoryPartner-De ... 34.c0.m322

They are located in China, Prices are good and shipping was free, It came in faster than I thought it would.

Although all three DOMs look the same the 32 MB and the 128 MB had different firmware. Also the 128 MB ones can only be powered by the power cable. The biggest quirk was they came partitioned and formatted in Windows 98 which meant I couldn't remove the partition with DOS 3.3 and had to use a third party program to delete the partition.

I am eventually planning on modifying a backplate IDE CF adapter to fit in the back of the PCjr sidecar containing the jrIDE so that I can transfer files by moving CF card between the PCjr and a modern computer.
-PCjr (1989)-DOS 3.3, Racore Drive II, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, jrExcellerator, Tandy Mod, Serial Card, Combo v2, Config Plus, IBM Parallel Port, Megaboard, Xircom PE3-10BT
-PCjr (2001)-DOS 3.3, jrIDE-128 MB DOM, NEC v20, Parallel Port, Comswap, Xircom PE3-10BT
James

Postby PNKlett » Tue May 28, 2013 3:19 pm

PNKlett

Postby alanh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:00 pm

BTW many DoMs support powering through Pin 20 of the IDE connector. It's why the power jumper exists on the JRIDE board.

BTW, there is a pin 1 indicator on the header. It just got buried under the connector itself when it's laying down at a right angle. If I respin the board, I'll fix that. All of the design files are public.

You can tell pin 1 by the square shaped pad as well.
alanh

Return to PCjr Hardware