Sidecar Connectors

Hardware questions and modifications

Sidecar Connectors

Postby jmetal88 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi guys,

I was thinking it might be a good idea to try to source some of the sidecar connectors at a reasonable price. I found a place that has the AMP 532773-2 connectors (the female ones with the long-tailed pins) called ASAP Semi, and I asked them about ordering a small quantity (10 of them, to be exact), and they quoted me a price of $28 apiece. A little bit of a robbery, in my opinion, but I haven't asked to see if they get more reasonable in larger quantities, yet. The representative I spoke to said they'd be willing to negotiate the price if we got a lower quote from elsewhere (I don't suppose the quote Alan got from State would work for that, since they seem to have lost their remaining inventory?).

Anyway, if it does become an issue of quantity vs price, are any of you willing to pool up some money to get a bunch of these? And if you can think of anywhere else to ask for quotes, please do!
jmetal88

Re: Sidecar Connectors

Postby Brutman » Tue May 28, 2013 7:53 pm

ASAP Semi doesn't need to know that State can't produce their stock.

Both Alan and I have a quote from State. Alan was able to get them, I was not.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jmetal88 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:29 pm

On a side note, this is an interesting in-production connector:

http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/1-173145-5

It might actually work, if the edges were filed off and it were mounted with the base of the connector about 8mm off the PCB (they do sell spacers and things that can accomplish that, don't they?).
jmetal88

Postby jmetal88 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:34 pm

Brutman wrote:ASAP Semi doesn't need to know that State can't produce their stock.

Both Alan and I have a quote from State. Alan was able to get them, I was not.

Mike

Hmm, I wonder if the quote has to be a recent one? By the way, is State the one whose website talks about custom potentiometers? There are a few companies named State Electronics in the Google results.
jmetal88

Postby jmetal88 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:39 pm

I'll try to get a current quote from State and see if they'll actually quote me. If they do, I'll forward the quote to ASAP and see if they can beat the price. If they don't, maybe you or Alan could forward your quote to ASAP and see what they'll do?
jmetal88

Postby jmetal88 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:31 am

Well, State gave me a quote at $14.25 apiece at quantity 10. So we're making progress.

I also got further contact from ASAP, and they tell me they have over 1200 of the connectors in stock.

Furthermore, I contacted TE Connectivity directly, and they handed me the name of one of their official distributors that claims to still have stock, AESCO Electronics. I might try to get a quote from them, as well.
jmetal88

Postby jmetal88 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:16 pm

Well, ASAP hasn't responded to the quote I sent them from State. I might try to push through the order with State, if I can, and see if they can locate the parts. I might have to see if I can talk the quantity down if nobody wants to pool with me, though, as I can't afford $140 on connectors, haha.
jmetal88

Postby jmetal88 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:00 pm

State tells me the lowest they can do price-wise (in total cost, not per unit) is sell me five each of the connectors, at $14.25 for the main connector and $3.25 for the shroud. That's $87.50 total, not including shipping, so I think I'd probably need $100 total to complete the order. I don't know how soon I'd be able to come up with that, honestly. I told State that I'd get back with them in two or three weeks. I'll try to pay out of my own pocket for the order if at all possible. I don't want to let these go if I can avoid it.
jmetal88

Postby Brutman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:23 am

I've really been too busy to keep up with email and forum postings. I'm sure other people are busy too.

Does anybody else need connectors? Should we be looking at retrofitting something newer that is still in production instead? I hate getting gouged.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby alanh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:36 pm

I can front the cost of a larger group buy. I've just been working 80 hours a week and haven't had time to keep up on things.

I'll look for the state invoice this weekend and see what I can do. I'm not sure I'm going to re-order JRIDE kits again. If I do, it will be kit only as I really hate building up those damned boards!
alanh

Return to PCjr Hardware