JrCaptain

Hardware questions and modifications

JrCaptain

Postby jmetal88 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:23 pm

I didn't think I was going to be the only bidder on this, but I ended up getting it nice and cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281114219064

It needs a power adapter, apparently, and it's being sold as 'untested'. I was initially a little put off by the feedback rating for the seller, but then I realized he only has one negative, it's just that it's more recent than most of his positives, and also the negative isn't something I would have been that harsh on (using an item's retail box as a shipping box would disappoint me, but I probably would have left a neutral, or contacted the seller for compensation if it was very collectible).

What kind of power adapter is this supposed to use, by the way? I looked in the PDF manual, and I assume the JrCaptian uses an internal regulator, so I guess it would have to be at least 7.5VDC.
jmetal88

Re: JrCaptain

Postby jmetal88 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:43 pm

It came in today. I'm not sure if it works yet, but I did notice it has two wires sticking out of it, both of which seem to be solder to 'testpoint' terminals on the PCB. Wonder what they were doing with those?
jmetal88

Postby Iudex » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:04 pm

A while back I purchase jrcaptain and jrcadet off ebay and it came without a power adaptor. I ended up getting one through jameco. Its product number is 112336 and its model number is adu090150. It has worked very well for me in lieu of the original adaptor.
Iudex

Postby jmetal88 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:05 pm

Alright, I figured it was probably 9V. Thanks! I think I have a few spare 9V power supplies just lying around here, actually. Hopefully one of them will have the right sized plug and will be able to supply enough current.

EDIT: Ah wait, I notice that's an AC power adapter. I take it the jrCaptain has rectifiers on board, then. I also have a couple of 9VAC power adapters around here that I could test. Specifically, I'm thinking the one meant to power my Atari disk drive and tape drive would be a good fit, if the connector is the right size.
jmetal88

Postby Brutman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:10 pm

The listed specs for the power supply are:

Input: 120 VAC, 60Hz, 18 watts
Output: 8.5 VAC, 1.35A, 11.5 VA

9VAC is close, but not perfect. You might be slowly frying something.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jmetal88 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:34 pm

Well, I finally ended up taking the connector out of the JrCaptain so I could put my regular parallel sidecar back together. Reasoning: I already have clock and memory in my JrIDE, so I'd rather have a parallel sidecar that does not need external power attached to my system. I actually managed to remove this connector without damaging the board at all, mostly thanks to the fact that it wasn't soldered in (unlike on my other sidecars), and now my PCjr is set back up the way I like it.
jmetal88

Return to PCjr Hardware