USB IBM PCjr Joystick Hack

Hardware questions and modifications

USB IBM PCjr Joystick Hack

Postby PNKlett » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:25 pm

PNKlett

Re: USB IBM PCjr Joystick Hack

Postby Eric » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Oh yeah, I've seen that one, it actually comes to mind everytime I hold the joystick, which means it must have made a pretty decent impression.
It's really simple to do, considering it's using a readily available board, but it's a good fast solution to get the thing working on modern systems.

It's a cool way to put it to use, especially if you don't have a peanut to use it on. If I had a few of them, I'd probably try it on one, but considering that I only have one, I'd rather keep it on the system it was designed for.
If I ever did consider doing something like this, I would probably come up with some modular setup where I can connect it various systems using interchangeable cords.
PCjr:
Eric

Postby MadKingCorduroy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Hey I noticed that mod too, it kind of peaked my interest since I own a PCjr and love the joystick that came with it. In fact last week I finally decided to do it, I ordered the Gameport to USB adapter and I ordered what appeared to be an ordinary PCjr joystick (the seller did not show the cable and admitted they knew absolutely nothing about the joystick).
However when the Joystick arrived today I realized the joystick had already been modified! :o

You see one of the previous owners (probably in the late 80's) had cut the original plug off and wired up a Gameport plug. This idea it seems is not as new as I thought!
So I didn't have to do anything, I just plugged the Joystick into the adapter and voila! USB PCjr joystick. :D
As an additional feature though my joystick can be used with any old computer that features a Gameport.

Here are some pictures.

My original PCjr joysitck is on the left, my "new" modified joystick is on the right.

The modified cable. Who ever did this picked a weird looking plug, but hey it works so who am I to judge. :P

Plugged into the adapter.

Myself playing Oolite on windows 7.
MadKingCorduroy

Postby Trixter » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:22 am

This was a common hack for people who had PCjrs who then upgraded to a PC and wanted to use their sticks on the new system. Glad you got it working!
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Return to PCjr Hardware