Fully Recapping PCjr. (Information and personal progress)

Hardware questions and modifications

Fully Recapping PCjr. (Information and personal progress)

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:16 pm

I recapped my PCjr's mobo today.
I always embed clickable thumbnails in my posts that lead to the full size images, so click 'em if you wanna see all the small details.

I used Nichicon PM Capacitors rated for 50v @ 10μF, just like the stock ones, but this series has some really nice specs and should last for quite a long time. They're also the same dimensions as the original, so it's a perfect fit!
Here's the page on Digikey for the ones I used, in case you're looking for capacitors for the mobo. You'll need twelve.

I haven't recapped any of the cards or anything else, yet, but will eventually and I'm likely to do them all at the same time or whatever. I also plan on replacing the capacitors in the color display, including its tantalum capacitor. (I get a bit of screen roll on some occasions, so I might as well) I'm still deciding what brand and series are going into my power board, because good capacitors on a power supply is obviously a big deal and it spends a few hours a day bathing in its own heat. I'm actually thinking about mounting a 60MM fan in there, somewhere.

Anyway, here's some pics of a successful recap. Their sleeves are brown and they're kind of cool looking, but they might look black in the pictures.

--

Just like I did with this post, I'll share links to what capacitors I used for the other components in a later post within this thread.
I was planning on posting this in another thread of mine, but after a bit of thinking, I realized that it might be better to not hijack any threads with a new discussion. (Even if it was a thread I composed)
@Brutman If this was bad judgement, feel free to merge it with that thread about the reset switch or whatever, since it's similar enough. …I guess.
PCjr:
Eric

Re: Fully Recapping PCjr. (Information and personal progress

Postby Trixter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks for the parts list and pictures. Was this to correct a problem, or just preventative maintenance?
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Re: Fully Recapping PCjr. (Information and personal progress

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:18 pm

Trixter wrote:Thanks for the parts list and pictures. Was this to correct a problem, or just preventative maintenance?

I did it for preventative maintenance. Capacitors don't have an extremely long life expectancy as the electrolyte tends to dry up and cause erratic behavior or a completely non-functional system. It can be a repair that brings tech back to life, though. It also pays off to use good caps because they can explode or leak if they're crappy, which can fry the components. Dry caps usually just cause the system to run unclean, you can usually see it in the video and hear it in the audio.
PCjr:
Eric

Return to PCjr Hardware