Did IBM ever make a Serial Mouse?

Hardware questions and modifications

Did IBM ever make a Serial Mouse?

Postby motley2659 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:09 am

I'm using an old Logitech Mouseman Serial Mouse right now and it works great. But for aesthetic reasons I'd like to have all IBM matching accessories if possible. Did IBM ever make a branded mouse which was either natively serial, or was a PS/2 mouse that auto-switched to Serial protocol with either a 9 pin or 25 pin serial adapter?
motley2659

Re: Did IBM ever make a Serial Mouse?

Postby GHiero » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:06 pm

I'm not aware that they ever did. I would think that a Microsoft serial mouse would be the closest contemporary substitute. IBM put out a PC with a cassette connector and a PC gameport card, but never released cables for them, only for their PCjr. versions.
GHiero

Re: Did IBM ever make a Serial Mouse?

Postby Brutman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:04 am

A mouse was not even on the RADAR when the 5150 was launched. There was no IBM branded mouse at the XT, PCjr or AT launches either. For the later machines I don't think that IBM was out of touch; it was more a matter of leaving some opportunity available for the peripheral makers.

The Mouse Systems mouse or a Microsoft bus mouse would be period appropriate. The Mouse Systems mouse was commonly paired with ColorPaint, which was a great demo. (Look at the pictures on the web site.) The Microsoft bus mouse became available when Microsoft introduced the Microsoft Booster, which was one of the earlier expansion sidecars available for the machine. Logitech mice work well too, but they really did not become widespread until much later.
Brutman
Site Admin

Return to PCjr Hardware