TV adapter question.

Hardware questions and modifications

Re: TV adapter question.

Postby Corey986 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:43 pm

I'm the Corey, if you Google, who is the go to guy for working on the vintage computers for the New York auction houses. So I have worked on more than a few Apple-1 systems. The cable I grabbed to use was from my "work" kit I use when I go to repair systems.

Personally I have a lot of 1970's systems that I own and restore.

The PCjr is my first and only 1980's system. When I decided to get an IBM PC, your website got me excited to get a Jr and not just an early PC. I actually got a Jr sealed in a box, but then decided to sit on it till I got another one which I'm finally getting setup.

So expect more questions over the next few months. These "modern" systems are all new to me... LOL

Cheers,
Corey
Corey986

Postby MikeModified » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:26 pm

MikeModified

Postby Corey986 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:31 am

Yep, that's the one went to the Henry Ford Museum. It is a nice board, a 9 out of 10 in condition. Didn't have much documentation. The one that just sold at Christies for a lot less was only a 5 out of 10, but it had awesome documentation.

Prices for Apple-1 are all over the place because of many factors.

Cheers,
Corey
Corey986

Postby Trixter » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Corey986 wrote:So expect more questions over the next few months. These "modern" systems are all new to me... LOL

No worries, they're neat little machines once you get to know the quirks and how to get around them. There are some hidden gems for the system; for example, Boulderdash looks and sounds much better on the PCjr than the PC; it feels like a C64 game. Touchdown Football talks :-)
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby GHiero » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Having obtained one of IBM's TV adapters, I can say that it is no different from any console TV adapter compared to a composite mod. Essentially, compared to the composite audio and video, you will hear more muffled sound, more ghosting and a swirly kind of video noise that is noticeable on solid colors and not present with composite video.
GHiero

Postby Brutman » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:47 pm

Was it ever a question? The signal from an RF modulator is inherently inferior to a composite signal. That is by design; there is no way around it.
Brutman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to PCjr Hardware