Xircom PE3-10BT works with Backpack drive?

Hardware questions and modifications

Xircom PE3-10BT works with Backpack drive?

Postby monzamess » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:56 am

I have a Backpack 3.5" drive plugged into my parallel port, and it has a pass-through. Will the Xircom parallel ethernet adapter work on that passthrough?

If I were to put on a second parallel sidecar that would come with a cost of a power expansion sidecar, so I'm hoping to avoid that. I'd also rather not have to swap between the two options, because I'm lazy.
monzamess

Re: Xircom PE3-10BT works with Backpack drive?

Postby Brutman » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:43 am

There is probably some combination that works but I don't know it off the top of my head.

Personally, I would get the power sidecar and the second parallel sidecar. And I would make sure that both are modified to be bi-directional. The ports are not that fast; adding some overhead to multiplex devices is going to make it worse, and probably less reliable.

Lazyiness is a good thing. You could get a printer A/B switch box. Just remember to never switch while the machine or devices are on. RS232 serial devices are hot-swap capable by design, but parallel port devices are not. Switching while powered up can cause damage.
Brutman
Site Admin

Re: Xircom PE3-10BT works with Backpack drive?

Postby MikeModified » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:31 am

FWIW: 4 Backpacks chained to one printer port: http://www.brutman.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=252. His Xircom is on a second port.

Mike
MikeModified

Return to PCjr Hardware