Mouse Question

Hardware questions and modifications

Re: Mouse Question

Postby GHiero » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:34 pm

Tempest wrote:Well I tried the mouse with Wasteland, but it doesn't seem to work. The mouse icon is there but I can't get it to move. I'm using the CuteMouse driver at COM 1/IRQ 3 so I'm not sure what's wrong. It might just be that the serial mouse I picked up isn't compatible with the PCjr. Either that or something is wrong with my serial cable (or the serial port on the jr).

I assume you have a Tandy mod in your system or are using one of the CGA modes to run Wasteland. The game should work at those settings.

What type of mouse protocol does your mouse use? The standard Microsoft-protocol mouse can be detected, but the standard Mouse Systems mouse protocol mouse cannot. If you have a Microsoft mouse and Cutemouse "finds" a Mouse Systems mouse, then it actually may not be finding the mouse at all.

You don't need to do anything if you have an internal modem installed. You can try COMSWAP if you don't have the internal modem.
GHiero

Postby Tempest » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:04 pm

Yes I have a Tandy mod.

It's a generic serial mouse. CuteMouse says Mouse Systems when it finds the mouse. I removed the modem because I thought it might interfere with the mouse, are you saying that I should put it back in?
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest

Postby jmetal88 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Tempest wrote:Yes I have a Tandy mod.

It's a generic serial mouse. CuteMouse says Mouse Systems when it finds the mouse. I removed the modem because I thought it might interfere with the mouse, are you saying that I should put it back in?

The PCjr swaps the COM ports around when you remove the modem, so you'll have the serial port as COM 1, but at the COM 2 address and IRQ (IIRC). You have to give CuteMouse some odd parameters if you want to use the mouse without loading COMSWAP. If you have the modem in, the serial port is reported as COM 2, which actually matches its address and IRQ. It's up to you how you want to handle that, but you can either specify COM 1 with alternative settings to CuteMouse, you can use COMSWAP to set the assignments back to normal without reinstalling the modem, or you can reinstall the modem which will set the assignments back to normal on its own, just remembering that with the latter two options, you're looking at the mouse being at COM 2.
jmetal88

Postby Tempest » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:47 pm

I put the modem back in but no go. I have CuteMouse using COM 1/IRQ 3 as I thought this was the correct setting. If not, what is the correct COM/IRQ setting with the modem installed (or uninstalled for that matter, it doesn't matter to me).

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby jmetal88 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:38 pm

Tempest wrote:I put the modem back in but no go. I have CuteMouse using COM 1/IRQ 3 as I thought this was the correct setting. If not, what is the correct COM/IRQ setting with the modem installed (or uninstalled for that matter, it doesn't matter to me).

As I said in my last post, with the modem installed the mouse will be on COM 2.
jmetal88

Postby GHiero » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Keep the modem in and you should not need to give any parameters to Cutemouse.
GHiero

Postby Tempest » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:03 am

GHiero wrote:Keep the modem in and you should not need to give any parameters to Cutemouse.

So Cutemouse knows the mouse is in COM 2 then?

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby GHiero » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:41 am

Tempest wrote:
GHiero wrote:Keep the modem in and you should not need to give any parameters to Cutemouse.

If it is a Microsoft compatible mouse, then it should find it. If not, try the mouse in another DOS system and see how Cutemouse detects it. You could try the COM2 parameter.
GHiero

Postby Tempest » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:34 am

GHiero wrote:
Tempest wrote:

If it is a Microsoft compatible mouse, then it should find it. If not, try the mouse in another DOS system and see how Cutemouse detects it. You could try the COM2 parameter.

What IRQ should I use?

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby GHiero » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:49 pm

GHiero

PreviousNext

Return to PCjr Hardware