jrIDE - time for another production run?

Hardware questions and modifications

Re: jrIDE - time for another production run?

Postby Brutman » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:23 pm

"The Connector People" definitely have the sidecar connectors. I just ordered a batch.

http://www.connectorpeople.com/Connecto ... 5/532773-2
http://www.connectorpeople.com/Connecto ... 5/532771-2

The minimum order is effectively $16, which is very reasonable. Their policy is not to sell to end users; they want to sell only to businesses. I suspect it is to keep their customer support costs down. I'm not sure how vigorously they enforce it but if you can, order through your business and if you need just one or two then piggy back onto somebody else's order.

They have close to 30,000 in stock. That is probably enough to give every surviving PCjr sidecar 5 new connectors.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jmetal88 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:12 am

That's actually the same place I ordered the connector shells for my keyboard converter. Nice to know they have more of the PCjr connectors available as well.

EDIT: By the way, when I ordered from them, I literally just typed my own name again in the form slot that asked for the company name. They didn't seem to have a problem with it.
jmetal88

Postby alanh » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:45 pm

I ordered 100 connectors. I'll order at least 25 more PCBs and 25 parts kits by the weekend. I'll let you know here and VCForums when things are ready to go.
alanh

Postby alanh » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:35 pm

I guess I need to ask if there are any changes worth doing? I am going to add a few more caps to improve some of the noise on the board. Even though I have a laundry list of improvements, I'm less inclined to change anything and assume risk. I also don't want to create something significantly better due to everyone who already has a Rev.A. Most of the features I have in mind can be done through an add-on board that plugs into the JR-IDE in any case (mainly SD card + WiFi).

The primary change that keeps tugging at me is a move to SMT. I originally did the board 5V with plated through hole design so people could solder them up themselves. However out of nearly 50 kits sold, I think only 5-6 have been in pieces. 432 through holes is a lot to solder. At least with SMT I have a full pick-and-place machine that would do most of the work.

Maybe drop the fully integrated DS12887A for a separate RTC IC (same core component) + battery socket. The board may grow a little, but should be doable.
alanh

Postby Trixter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:45 pm

alanh wrote:At least with SMT I have a full pick-and-place machine that would do most of the work.

This puts the burden of assembly on you (mostly). I can barely solder through-hole, I have no idea how much hair I'd lose trying to solder SMT...

I have no suggestions at this time, other than to not make any changes that would prevent putting flash-based storage inside the sidecar shell. I have a DOM in mine and I love how it's all self-contained.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby alanh » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:58 pm

Trixter wrote:
alanh wrote:At least with SMT I have a full pick-and-place machine that would do most of the work.

This puts the burden of assembly on you (mostly).

I guess that's what I'm pondering. Most of the previous kits I've assembled. If I am assembling most of the next set of kits, SMT drops the average time from 30-45 minutes one-by-one to 4-5 minutes each in an assembly line pass.
alanh

Postby Vorticon » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:41 pm

I'd definitely would like one as well as a backup to my original one.
Vorticon

Postby Brutman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:53 am

Please send me your email address for the (offline) list I am compiling.

(Everybody else - if you are still interested please do the same.)
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby marklwil » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:12 am

I am also interested in a jrIDE. Please let me know if one is available.

Thank you,
Mark
marklwil

Postby gyromite2000 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:38 pm

I am interested in purchasing a JrIDE. Thank you!
gyromite2000

PreviousNext

Return to PCjr Hardware