JrIDE Memory Corruption?

Hardware questions and modifications

Re: JrIDE Memory Corruption?

Postby Tempest » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:45 pm

Let me see what testing turns up this weekend. I'm getting a new disk drive (found one cheap) so I can put that in the system at the same time. If I isolate it to the jrIDE I may need to send it to you for repairs as I don't have the skills to do soldering on something this complicated.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest

Postby alanh » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:40 pm

MikeModified wrote:Alan:

For future reference, could you provide a link to the files necessary to reflash the BIOS and CPLDs? Thanks.

Mike

The reflash tool for the BIOS can be found here (pardon the half-baked site):

https://www.retrotronics.org/jride/

I don't have a write-up on how to reflash the CPLD as it generally should not be necessary for most (if nearly all) users. However the JEDEC files are in my SVN (along with source code to utilities).
alanh

Postby Tempest » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:16 pm

I'd have a hard time believing the jrIDE is corrupted, but I suppose it could have taken an electrical shock or something. When everything started to go wonky it was still in a protective sidecar shell, so it's unlikely. I'll know more as soon as my disk drive gets here.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby Tempest » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:01 am

BTW does someone have a good DOS 3.3 memory testing program (I think that's the earliest DOS disk I have at the moment)? My disk drive came the other day and I'm going to get around to testing everything tonight.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby Tempest » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:17 pm

Currently testing out the memory. So far so good. I had a little setback with the new disk drive giving me errors, but once I greased the rails on the head it started working without a hitch. I then put the jrIDE on and booted my DOS3.3 disk and that seems to have worked just fine (recognizes the extra memory). Now I need a good memory tester for DOS 3.3 and I can move onto the hard drives. So far so good.

I'm about to put the drive in permanently, but I have a question: What are those four metal clips for? I took them out of the system when I took the drive out originally, but I'll be damned if I remember where they go back in? Are they spacers for the sides of the drive? They look like they could go where the screws go as they have a slot that the screw could go through.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby Trixter » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:43 pm

They're spacers for the side screw holes. IIRC, you put the drive in, then drop the spacers in, then screw things down.

(Sorry I dragged my feet on the replacement drive; hope the one you have works out for you.)
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby Tempest » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:11 am

No worries. I got a good deal on the drive and it seems to work just fine. It actually makes less noise than my old one (it always made a 'washing machine' kind of swishing noise).

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Previous

Return to PCjr Hardware