PCjr Hard Drive Bay on Ebay

Hardware questions and modifications

PCjr Hard Drive Bay on Ebay

Postby balsino » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi,

Anybody see this PCjr mod being offered on Ebay?
IBM PCjr WITH Paralell + Card slot / Hard drive bay !
Item number: 170319922440
http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-PCjr-WITH-Paral ... 7C294%3A50

Not sure what the mod is but it looks interesting. It looks like an 8bit card adapter attached to the PCjr side bus. The seller says they had a 10 MB hard drive attached to it but does not go into the details. The seller is from Garland, Texas, which makes me believe it is from Computer Reset. I have an 8 bit Future Domain SCSI 2 card I would love to try with this, but it sure looks funky. Any thoughts on this?
balsino

Re: PCjr Hard Drive Bay on Ebay

Postby Brutman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:05 pm

Man that thing is ugly.

It looks like an ISA bus adapter, but it is not one that I recognize. A SCSI card might work on it if it provides the OSC signal.

The hard drive controller and card do not look like part of the package, which is a shame. To work it must have had a custom EPROM because the Jr BIOS checksums differently than the XT or PC BIOS, and all of the XT class drive controllers used DMA.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby balsino » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:54 pm

I got a response back from the seller, and as I know the guy at Computer Reset, this customer is obviously not him. The seller is a actually going to part out the 10 MB hard card as opposed to including it with the PCjr. His email said this was a common upgrade for PCjr, but I never recall seeing such an upgrade advertised in the PCjr Newsletter or the jr Report. The seller seemed pretty vague on technical details, so I guess I will pass on bidding for the item.

Niel
balsino

Postby Brutman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:07 pm

I think he is Richard's neighborhood, but it is definitely not Richard ...

Sorry, but Plus Hardcards were not a common upgrade for a Jr. It has to have a custom EPROM to run. I doubt the seller knows what he is breaking up by selling them separately.

As for the specific machine, the ISA bus adapter would be interesting, but we know how to make that. So passing it up isn't a sin ...

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Return to PCjr Hardware