What are the extra hardware pieces...

Hardware questions and modifications

Re: What are the extra hardware pieces...

Postby NTEPB » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:10 pm

I can help with describing some of the items on this listing. And before anyone asks, no, I am not the seller. I've been around PCjrs WAY too long, and I'm starting to get back into programming these things.

And Mike, after reading a number of your posts, I can already tell you know what a lot of this stuff is. But for the benefit of everyone here, let's break it all down.

Looking at the first picture in the listing:

- The first cable on the PCjr is a PCjr-to-CGA adapter. With that, you can connect a standard CGA or EGA monitor to the D port on the rear of the system. More info here: http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/pcjr_faq.html#Monitors
- I believe the next adapter is a Racore PC-to-PCjr keyboard adapter. Have a closer look here: http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/pcjr_options.html#Racore_Keyboard_Adapter:
- As for the black adapter in front of Cartridge BASIC, I have absolutely no idea what that is. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that one.

I'll leave out the obvious keyboards, joysticks, power adapter, etc.

The sixth picture (from left to right):

- memory sidecar (unknown amount of RAM)
- parallel (LPT) printer sidecar
- power sidecar

To get that system fully running, you'd need a 2nd power adapter (one for the system unit, one for the power sidecar), unless there's another power adapter not shown.

Hope that helps!

Jon
NTEPB

Postby MikeModified » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:16 pm

Thanks, Jon.

It was the keyboard adapter (been a long time since I've looked at that page of Mike's but I should have figured it out) and the other unident item.

Mike
MikeModified

Postby MikeModified » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:51 am

For those who might be tempted:

NTEPB wrote:To get that system fully running, you'd need a 2nd power adapter (one for the system unit, one for the power sidecar), unless there's another power adapter not shown.

Please note this item comes with (3) A/C adapters.

Mike
MikeModified

Postby geoffdaddy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:16 am

The small black piece looks like something that would plug into a centronics (parallel) port of a printer.
PCjr: 10MB RACore 01 hard drive expansion, Hotshot 640kB RAM expander, optical mouse, Xircom PE3, speech sidecar.
geoffdaddy

Postby geoffdaddy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:24 am

I asked the seller to provide additional pictures of the "thing". The only other thing that can be determined from the additional pictures is that it has an embossed "IBM" on the cover. I suspect it's a SCSI terminator that was thrown in by accident.
PCjr: 10MB RACore 01 hard drive expansion, Hotshot 640kB RAM expander, optical mouse, Xircom PE3, speech sidecar.
geoffdaddy

Postby Brutman » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:22 pm

I was curious about it too, and it did look like SCSI.

There have been a lot of reasonably equipped Jr systems on eBay recently. I'm never going to be able to unload my surplus ones ... (oh well).
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby MikeModified » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:41 am

$272 plus shipping!

Hang on to your jr pieces, Mr. B. You'll be able to use them to supplement your pension. :lol:

Mike
MikeModified

Postby Brutman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:10 am

Which is just amazing because I've given away nicer systems than that. Ok, so now maybe I can tell my wife that I need to hold onto this stuff for a few more years.

No seriously, it only has value if you can find a buyer. My fear is that in 10 or 20 years nobody will give a darn about any of my collection and that it will get recycled for lack of options. For a good example, take a look at what Compact Flash and SD card storage has done to the demand for old hard drives. I have about 60 old hard drives here because 10 years ago I knew their life was limited due to age and mechanical stress and that if I wanted to keep these machines running for the long run I would need a backup supply of drives. The proliferation of homebrew adapters using FLASH under the covers as basically eliminated that fear, which is great, but it has left me with an interesting and valueless collection of metal paperweights. 8-)
Brutman
Site Admin

Return to PCjr Hardware