Boot to ROM BASIC with jr-IDE

Hardware questions and modifications

Boot to ROM BASIC with jr-IDE

Postby KenG » Fri May 10, 2019 3:33 pm

I have never been able to boot to BASIC or a cartridge with the jr-IDE installed. Tonight I noticed that a message flashes across the screen very quickly when I select “D” from the menu. I had to take a picture with my phone to read it. It says “WARNING! Logical drives past Z: exist and will be ignored”. I have drives A:, C:, D:, and E:. After I get this error, the computer boots off of C:. I then show drives out to Z:. Rebooting and selecting “C” from the menu gives me just my normal drives. Is this a known bug? Is there a newer BIOS for the jr-IDE that fixes this? I would really like to be able to play with my BASIC cartridge.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Re: Boot to ROM BASIC with jr-IDE

Postby KenG » Fri May 10, 2019 6:09 pm

I just read the thread on this. I think I somehow got a card with an old BIOS. The POST display does’t shut off either. Where do I get the newest BIOS?
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Re: Boot to ROM BASIC with jr-IDE

Postby KenG » Sat May 11, 2019 8:34 am

OK, I did have the 2012-8-29 BIOS. I downloaded and flashed the new BIOS and can now use both cassette and cartridge BASICs. That was what I was after. All good here now! Sometimes I wonder why I put myself through so much, but then I get that great feeling when I restore a piece of history to working order and know it is worth it. I recently repaired a Mac Plus that I paid $25 for. I get a rush every time it boots up.
KenG

Return to PCjr Hardware