PS2 Dongle / TandyMod Brd Finished

Hardware questions and modifications

PS2 Dongle / TandyMod Brd Finished

Postby Chuckphd53 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:25 am

I know there are some folks that needed these items and Mike (jmetal88) and Alan (alanh) are the authors of these devices...
with the little time we all have to spend on 'these' types of items it can really add up when supporting the JR folks..
Make no mistake Mike an Alan have put many hours into these projects and get all the accolades for the design and efforts..
I just did some re-layout and offer to have these for the Folks that may want them...
And did some 3D printed parts for the Dongle...
The one change I did make to the TandyMod brd is a jumper header to allow the user to install and external ON/OFF switch if desired...

The question I most likely will get is cost !!!
I had 100 pcbs of each made and will stuff them as needed, I know that is WAY to many....but it is just a cheap as getting 10 pcbs..
with parts assembled it looks like both will fall into the $5 range each...
I think $3 for shipping should cover these but will know for sure when I ship the first set :)
Granted I will never re-coup the cost of boards, but I'm not doing this for the $$....it's just a nice feature for the JR that we should all
Have Access too...
I will test each unit prior to sending so you can be sure they are coming as working units.... I have a Test Setup at home that is just for this purpose..

Also for those interested in the SprintBoard and the 3FlopBrd let me know.....

Hope this helps the folks having these available...
Chuck

http://www.linearlogix.com/PCJR/TandyMod1.jpg
http://www.linearlogix.com/PCJR/TandyMod2.jpg
http://www.linearlogix.com/PCJR/PS2Dongle1.jpg
http://www.linearlogix.com/PCJR/PS2Dongle2.jpg
(PCJR/JR-IDE-512DOM,TandyMod,V20-10Chip,BiDir,LPT2,3FlopBrd,
USBEmulator,ZIP100,PS2Keybrd,MouseSysMouse,InternalSwitcherPS)
Chuckphd53

Re: PS2 Dongle / TandyMod Brd Finished

Postby Chuckphd53 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:47 am

also wanted to ask if anyone knows of a small Tandy video test, I am using Battle Chess to verify each board works but it take so long to load.
I am looking for a small program that will reside on the boot disk and can quickly throw up a picture to verifythe TandyMod board is good.

thanks' chuck
Chuckphd53

Postby monzamess » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:08 am

Definitely interested in the Tandy Mod and other new toys.
monzamess

Postby Chuckphd53 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:25 am

send me a PM :)
Chuckphd53

Postby Chuckphd53 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:14 am

A quick update...

I just mailed out a couple tandymod boards and UGH ! the post office cost $3.65 for a 4x5 envelope... which had a built up TandyMod board inside...
After $20 for mailing, I was a bit pissed, when a simple letter is what ? .50 cents !

SO: this is what I am gonna do...
I am going to not assemble the 'connectors' only on to the board, this is what makes it 'thick'
(NOTE: the board in the picture is blank, I just used this as an example, I will place the parts on the board and test it)
I plan on just tapping them down to a piece of paper inside the letter and folding it over to protect the parts, they should lay flat
and ship just fine. Also the Right Angle Jumper conn to TANDY=ON will need to be installed, I will put a 2 pin 'straight' header in the evelope
but suggest you bend it at a right angle and solder it to the board as show in my earlier pics of the board.
OR : you can just solder two wires to this and mount and external ON/OFF switch on your machine
which I think is the best solution. Give you more flexibility.

BUT you will need to do a little soldering, so be aware of this as it is only a few pins, same as you will have
to do on the mother board when you remove the chip and install the headers to plug the new TandyMod board into them !
So this 'should' not really be a problem , I hope !

I had 100 pcbs made so should have plenty of boards, I will need to buy the chips and program them but I will get these in smaller batches.
These boards are actually only about $3 in parts and this with the USPS Letter stamp mailing .50cents or whatever it is now....
these boards are actually under $4

so I am not going to fool around with paypal etc....
I will send these to the JR folks that want to expand their Jr's to have the TandyMod capabilities and if you want to help out
you can always use the Return address on the letter and send a few $$ back. I know we are all on budgets with this hobby
and I hope this makes this portion of the upgrades to our Jr's do-able...

Now I do have limited time and don't want to stuffing letters in the mailbox every day :) so if we can agree
to maybe wait until I get 5 or so to send out then I will build and test them and get them in the mail.
If I don't get alot of folks asking for these, I'll jump on it and get them out as I get them..
Use this email to contact me pcjr@terradock.com or if you have questions..
I would ask that if you need two tandymod boards, please give a good reason, I do understand we have multiple systems
and have no problem sending two, but just to have a spare, well.......let's make sure others can get one also !

I don't expect I will be sending out until after the holidays, but we are all busy with Christmas so should not be an issue for anyone !
Again I am doing this to help out the Jr Folks and I hope it is received as a good gesture !
Let me know if you have questions...

Concerns with JRCONFIG:
Using The /S0 option will cause memory issues with the video working and continue to allow blinds…
so do not use this option.

Finally ( All design credits go to Alan H.), I just did a board re-lay out .

Chuck
Chuckphd53

Postby ZiggyTheHamster » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:20 am

Funny story, I ordered 10 boards for exactly this mod, but mine is using a ROM instead of a GAL because I don't have a way to program those. I planned on listing mine for $10 to $15 shipped on Tindie, though I've fully assembled mine (can't get away from the unmachineable surcharge due to the ROM).

I'm testing with an ECGA demo program. I can ZIP that and attach it if I can figure out why brutman.com is totally broken on my PC.
ZiggyTheHamster

Postby ZiggyTheHamster » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:24 am

Here's a link to my Git repo, which includes the program that generates the logic table using Alan's design: https://github.com/ziggythehamster/zm31 ... d-plus-rom
ZiggyTheHamster

Postby KenG » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:40 pm

I wrote a small program to test the Tandy mod. It will show a solid green screen with the Tandy mod active and a broken up screen if it isn't.
Attachments
TANDTEST.7z
(302 Bytes) Downloaded 305 times
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby ZiggyTheHamster » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:32 am

Here's a link to my Tindie store page with my implementation of this: https://www.tindie.com/products/ziggyth ... -ibm-pcjr/

I'm not going to do a second batch since Chuckphd53 also made a batch of the GAL-based ones. Use promo code BRUTMAN to get it for cost.
ZiggyTheHamster

Postby creekmore34 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:17 pm

Greetings All,

Just a shout out to Chuck (Chuckphd53). He sent me a copy of his tandy mod well over a year ago. I hate to say it, but with so much going on, I didn't get it installed until this past December. Well, now finally installed, it works like a champ! I haven't decided where to wire an external switch, but plan on doing that eventually.

Thanks again Chuck!

(tried to upload photos, but "board attachment quota has been reached")
creekmore34

Next

Return to PCjr Hardware