Just got a PCjr the other day...

Say hello here!

Just got a PCjr the other day...

Postby t9999clint » Tue May 18, 2021 12:16 pm

I just got a PCjr system the other day and I'm looking forward to modding the heck out of it.
It's missing a power adapter so I have no idea if it works, but that's ok. I just have to find or build a replacement of some sort.

I might also be recording my progress and putting it on YouTube, but I haven't decided on that yet.
Looking around at what other people have done, here are my plans so far...
    - jrIDE (already purchased)
    - NEC V20 CPU replacement (already purchased)
    - PSU Replacement mod
    - Tandy Mod
    - PC Sprint mod
    - Make my own CGA to HDMI converter with a PCjr connector (I've made a bunch of GBS-8200 stuff already, I'll probably just use that)
    - GoTek with FlashFloppy and a custom LCD (I've already done something similar with my 486-dx2)
    - Some sort of Adlib or MIDI mod, but I can't find any info on that sort of mod for the PCjr

I'm pretty good at console modding and have also repaired a couple of more modern motherboards (blown caps on 2000's era hardware) but I've never worked on a PC this old before.
I have repaired a bunch of Sega Genesis/CD/32x, Super Nintendos before. I've also done a bunch of recaps and LCD mods on various Gameboys and GameGears, so I'm not afraid of a soldering iron.
t9999clint

Re: Just got a PCjr the other day...

Postby t9999clint » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:36 am

I have now ordered almost everything I should need to get started.
- jrIDE (arrived and installed)
- NEC V20 CPU replacement (arrived and installed)
- PSU Replacement mod - Can't get. Managed to find a original power cable. (hasn't arrived yet)
- Tandy Mod (on it's way)
- PC Sprint mod (on it's way)

Now I think I need to get a good desoldering gun to properly install the tandy and sprint mods.
After that is the flashfloppy setup, then a RGB2HDMI using a raspi
t9999clint

Postby Brutman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:25 pm

Which PSU replacement were you looking for?

I'm using an older variant of this (https://akbkuku.com/store/p/1/IBM-PCjr- ... y-Adapter/) because I already have an ATX power supply on the bench for an external hard drive. Alan did a small run of really nice power supply cards, but I suspect those are made of "unobtainium" and can't be found in the wild now.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby t9999clint » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:32 pm

Either would be fine.
I tried buying one off of Shelby (Akbkuku), but he said that he's probably not going to be making anymore of them because he doesn't really have the time for it right now.

So basically both are unobtanium at the moment.
Not a big deal though, as I found a couple of original power adapters on eBay the other day that'll actually ship to Canada. So when that one shows up I'll at least be able to turn the computer on.

I guess the next thing to do would be to get a PSU recap kit from console5.
t9999clint

Postby Brutman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:41 pm

This seems like the kind of thing that Texelec could pick up and run with. I might drop them an email and ask if they are taking on new projects. (The Akbkuku adapter is fairly simple.)

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby DoctorOctal » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:49 am

TexElec could also stock up on the original power supply cards and bricks. Computer Reset still has lots of them, including many NIB long boards.
DoctorOctal

Postby t9999clint » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:49 pm

Yeah I was kind of surprised TexElec didn't already make PSU kits for the PCjr.

Oh and my GoTek floppy emulator showed up, so that's another thing off the list.
t9999clint

Return to Introductions