yet *another* Computer Reset PCjr owner!

Say hello here!

yet *another* Computer Reset PCjr owner!

Postby Cooljerk » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:53 am

Hi,
I see someone else from Computer Reset made a topic just before I did, haha. Much like them, I picked up a PCjr at computer reset recently and have been having some fun getting the thing up to speed. I mentioned to Mike in my email that I had an 8088 IBM compatible clone back in the 80's, so this era of computing holds some nostalgia for me. I'm also a voracious retro computing enthusiast (atari, commodore, msx, amstrad, sinclair, apple, etc). I do extremely low level embedded systems programming as a day job, so dinking around with this kind of hardware is right in line with my hobbies.

I have a collection of old titles I had picked up in the 80's that I'm mainly interested in trying to get up and running. Specifically are two games -- Paperboy, and Robocop. I have seen around the internet that, at least at one point in time, a patch existed to get paperboy running on the pcjr and I'm hoping I can find it.

My first step will probably be trying to get my hands on an jrIDE.

Anywho, thanks for letting me onto this board!
Cooljerk

Re: yet *another* Computer Reset PCjr owner!

Postby RiverBoa99 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:14 pm

Welcome!

Glad to see you got in on the the revival through Computer Reset. I wasn't certain I'd be in the market for one, but when they found one with 256k, I couldn't resist.

I'm still working on wiring up a PC to write disks for it (and buying some DD 5.25), but I plan on getting a jrIDE too.

I'm just curious about whether or not there's a way to get Pirates! working on it. I've heard it won't run it natively, but with the right add-ons, is it possible?
RiverBoa99

Re: yet *another* Computer Reset PCjr owner!

Postby Cooljerk » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:54 pm

I'm considering popping in an hxc floppy drive emulator in mine. I have a few DD disks around, and actually a spare 5 1/4 drive, but I've been moving away from media that spins here lately.
Cooljerk

Return to Introductions