Finally got my login

Say hello here!

Finally got my login

Postby Kablamabam » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:23 pm

Hi all. The PCjr was my first computer and will always be my favourite system. My dad bought it new and passed it down to me in 1990 when he got a PS/2. I upgraded the Jr with a 2nd drive and used it regularly through 1995 when I finally packed it up.

Over the next 20 years I would pull it out and set it up a handful of times, just to check on it. On Christmas last year I set it up again and showed it to my children for the first time. I've attached a picture of my daughter playing Crazy 8's on it. Both my kids really liked it and wanted to see it set up permanently in our home. I've decided to clean out our technology room and install a long desk along the wall where I can set up my PCjr and some other vintage systems I've held onto.

I've been on Mike's page several times over the years. I found the website while researching a memory expansion sidecar I picked up at a flea market in 2005. Since stumbling across brutman.com I've come back several times to read about various things PCjr. Now more than 10 years later I am finally creating an account.

I'm looking forward to upgrading with a jrIDE and preserving my software collection before the disks go bad. So thankful for this website!
Attachments
Kaity and the Jr.jpg
My daughter loving the PCjr just as much as I did. Makes me very happy :).
(110.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Kablamabam

Re: Finally got my login

Postby Brutman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi and welcome to the club ...

For the diskettes check out the DskImage program from the downloads page; I explicitly wrote it for dealing with older diskettes. It's big feature compared to similar programs is that it is a lot more aggressive about retrying bad sectors which are often transient so a few more retries is a good thing. It only works on DOS diskettes, so copy protected games will not work with it. Make sure you clean the drive heads when you start to see errors too.

For copy protected diskettes there is Teledisk and the Central Point Option Board. Teledisk is just software. The Option Board is probably silly expensive by this point, but it deals with more advanced copy protection very well.
Brutman
Site Admin

Re: Finally got my login

Postby Chuckphd53 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:16 am

Good to see old Jrs getting the dust wiped off, great to have you here.
It a fantastic forum, and Mike has done an untold amount of work to keep all of us informed.

I also am looking forward to the next run of jrIde add ons...
Should be alot of fun..

Chuck
(PCJR/JR-IDE-512DOM,TandyMod,V20-10Chip,BiDir,LPT2,3FlopBrd,
USBEmulator,ZIP100,PS2Keybrd,MouseSysMouse,InternalSwitcherPS)
Chuckphd53

Return to Introductions