New members ...

Say hello here!

New members ...

Postby Brutman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:09 pm

I'm not as active on these forums as I would like to be; something about real life keeps getting in the way. However, I did have a bit of fun registering four or five new people yesterday. I don't think we are experiencing a PCjr renaissance so it was probably just coincidence. ;-0

If you are new please take a moment to introduce yourself and say hello. This forum is not as wildly active as some other forums, but I think our signal to noise ratio is very hard to beat.

For those who don't know me I'll go first ...
  • My first machine was the Timex Sinclair 1000, not the PCjr. I need to restore mine and start hacking on it. The PCjr was my second machine, but my first real machine. I used it nearly continuously from March 1984 until January 1990 when a used IBM AT replaced it. It's still here in the house.
  • Besides my part-time job defending the honor of the PCjr I also wrote the mTCP TCP/IP programs for DOS, which are explicitly designed to run well on a PCjr. I figure if they run well on a PCjr, they will run on anything. I also slightly helped Hargle on the original XT-IDE board and helped Alan with the BIOS side of the jrIDE, which 6 years later is still an incredible project. (It is the single best add-on for a retro computer that I have ever owned.) My latest venture is organizing and running VCF Pacific Northwest, which is a retrocomputer show here in Seattle. (See http://vcfed.org/wp/festivals/vintage-c ... northwest/ for details. I am also on the board of directors for the VCFed.)
  • In real life I live in the Seattle area, still work for a living, and still mow my own lawn. I used to be an active pilot and I'd like to start again before I get too rusty.

Your turn ...
Brutman
Site Admin

Re: New members ...

Postby ChuckB » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:24 pm

I'll bite!

I already made a brief intro, but I did not cover my other interests.. besides computing, I like Motorcycles and have a few in my stable. When you own older bikes, you have to like wrenching, which I do. I like machining and own a couple lathes. I also like collecting guitars, though I can barely play a note. And of course the usual.. babes, beer and rock and roll! :D

To earn income, I service and install pedestrian automatic doors. I have been doing so for the past 38 years working for two companies in South Florida..
ChuckB

Re: New members ...

Postby leadpro » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:32 am

Firstly : Thanks Mike for the Forum!
whoami>? well names Randy, I used to run a database business now semi retired (except for my bitcoin teaching adoption venture).
I like computers, probably more that I like some people.
My first taste was when I was in a special learning center for challenged kids I saw and touched Plato.
Then when I saw the atari 2600 I was like why is this so bad (compared to Plato).. lol
Anyhow my first real machine was an Apple II+ which I finally fried in the early 90's. I used to hot swap stuff alot with the power on and it finally gave me a good shock!
My dad got rid of that and all the software while I was away. Im still emotionally scarred.
I must say the PCJr is completely new to me.. I won a few at an auction for like $5-$10 a pice, had no power supply so I rigged an atx to test the units.
Im here because I like Roms. I like Microcontrollers and I feel the PCJr design is incredible. Its like a full single board computer with 2 cartridge slots! I want to burn some Roms. I need knowledge. Im rambling. Good to be here!
leadpro

Return to Introductions