PCjr Down Under

Say hello here!

PCjr Down Under

Postby FlaminJoe » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi all from Australia,

I'm new to the world of PCjr's but not new to vintage PC's of this era but my focus has mainly been on the Atari IBM clones. I started branching out in the past couple of years into the original IBM's and have already in my collection either fully working or a work in progress, a IBM 5150, 5155, 5160, 5170 and pretty soon a PCjr. I originally wasn't going to expand my collection to include a PCjr but I was drawn to the uniqueness of this little PC.

I would love to post photo's of it when it arrives but it may not be complete for a while. While I could of gone the traditional route of purchasing a full unit I've instead gone down the path of getting it bit by bit and putting it all together myself. So far I have the case, motherboard, IR receiver, fan, internal floppy controller and keyboard (model 7257) all on it's way to me from various parts of the USA and Canada. Still a few more bits to find but very much looking forward to receiving it all and putting it all together.

Cheers!
AtariPC.net
Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series
FlaminJoe

Re: PCjr Down Under

Postby Brutman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:25 pm

Welcome aboard. I travel to Australia once in a while; I might be able to ferry parts at some point.

You did not mention the IBM JX - I would have thought that would have been in the list. Any thoughts on those?
Brutman
Site Admin

Re: PCjr Down Under

Postby FlaminJoe » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:32 pm

Brutman wrote:You did not mention the IBM JX - I would have thought that would have been in the list. Any thoughts on those?

I haven't really put much thought into it to be honest. But I guess it's because it's not really an "iconic" IBM machine like the 51xx series. For me the PCjr fits into this category but probably more so for being a famous flop.

There's also no attachment factor for me despite it actually being available in Australia. I've read that they were apparently used in schools in Victoria but I grew up in South Australia where in my early years we had BBC Micro's and C64's and later locally designed and produced Micro Byte PC230's before the generic clones took over. I honestly don't recall ever seeing a PC JX.
AtariPC.net
Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series
FlaminJoe

Return to Introductions