Hello

Say hello here!

Hello

Postby kotto7877 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:20 pm

Hi,

I joined not too long ago. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover such a treasure trove of info about the PCjr. The PCjr was my first computer; my dad was an IBM employee and was able to get a PCjr and occasional upgrades at employee prices. We kept using it for 6 or 7 years, until it was too outdated to run much new software and replacement parts were not so easy to find. Replaced it with a PS/2 (don't remember the model, but it was a HEAVY tower) and used it for several years, until my brother went to college and took it with him. At that point, my dad was pushed into early retirement, I got a job myself, and I went the route of building clones from parts.

I've always kept the software from the jr, especially the IBM grey box games and one of my favorite games of all time: Oubliette.

I have always had a soft spot for the PCjr, except for the keyboard and lack of a hard drive. I only suffered with the chiclet keyboard for a few months before my dad got the better, non-chiclet, variety. Since I moved on to the PS/2, though, I fell in love with the Model M keyboard and never looked back.

Some day I'll probably find the bones of our old jr, buried in a rotting (literally) hoarder house. My parents are hoarders, and they filled the house and several storage buildings, floor-to-ceiling, with crap. They bought a new house a few years ago, and that old house was left to rot. It's termite-infested, and the floor is caving in. The house was in bad shape when I was a kid in the 80s; now it's dangerous. Nobody enters it unless someone is looking for something. My mom has not allowed me to clean out the place, but some day, it will be my duty as executor of their estate. Maybe then I'll find the bones of the PCjr...

I'd wanted to find that old jr and repair it (dunno if the motherboard or power supply died, but I think it was probably a power surge from a thunderstorm). That won't happen any time soon, though.

When I discovered the PS/2 keyboard breakout board for the jr a month or so ago, I got excited. When I learned of the jr-IDE, I became even more excited. With modern options for addressing the weaknesses of the jr, I decided the time is now to buy a jr. I'm a big fan of DOS games and have had a great time with gaming on an HP 200LX. Of course the jr couldn't run everything... protected-mode games won't work.. but it will be cool.

Now I just have to acquire the parts. And that's the point at which I'll remain, it seems. I got the two breakout boards from TexElec (yay for using my Model M on a jr!). I already had a CF card and a CF IDE adapter. Seems that I learned about the jrIDE a few months too late. I just have to cross my fingers and hope that AlanH makes more. No rush, though, because I also have had trouble in obtaining a jr. I thought that would be the easiest part. Yeah, I suppose so... if price were no object. Some day... some day...
kotto7877

Re: Hello

Postby Brutman » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:08 am

Welcome to our exclusive group!

I wouldn't worry too much about finding a PCjr. Basic machines show up on eBay fairly regularly, and for low prices. There were a lot of them made and they are not a particularly "hot" machine to collect. Which is good for us. :-)
Brutman
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Postby KenG » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:54 am

I have a couple off them I need to repair. I have the parts, just haven't taken the time. They would be 128K machines with 360K drive in them. PM me if you are interested and we can discuss price. It sounds like you would only want the computer with power brick, no keyboard?
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Return to Introductions