Howdy y'all!

Say hello here!

Howdy y'all!

Postby channelmaniac » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:10 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm better known in the arcade arena as a guy who sells components and fixes old game consoles, computers, and a LOT of arcade game boards.

My first Jr was back in the 80s when I bought one from IBM through one of my 2 best friend's dad who worked for IBM in Greencastle, Indiana, for the $250 they were selling them to employees for. That was my PC that went to college with me.

Fast forward and I have 4 Jrs, but not the one that went to college with me. One of my Jrs has the ATX Pico Power Supply mod in it, another has a Quadram 2nd floppy drive, and another one is a Unicorn - a hard drive unit built by IBM itself.

I've been involved as a volunteer at the legendary Computer Reset while computer collectors get to purchase things they've only dreamed of for their Jrs. I've picked up keyboard interface adapters that replace the infrared unit and some that plug into the back. I picked up a 10 key keypad and 2 3rd party 101 key keyboards that plug right into the Jr. Serial ports that plug into the modem slot and give you a DB25 out the back of the Jr. a pile of empty clock/calendar cartridge boards and a box of cartridge shells. I also picked up every memory expansion side car that I saw that was labeled as BAD. I'll be repairing and upgrading those to 512K and selling them eventually.

I've also picked up some rarities like a canvas banner with Charlie Chaplin on it, a puzzle, and a post card that were all marketing materials. Those were donated today to the National Videogame Museum in Frisco, TX.

I'll post pics soon of the Unicorn Jr.

Raymond
channelmaniac

Re: Howdy y'all!

Postby alanh » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:20 pm

Hi Raymond. Just curious after watching DJ and Clints' vids. There were a lot of Jr system units at Computer Reset. Were any NIB? And if so, any of those left?

JR-IDE fulfills most of my Jr needs. But I have a NIB 5150, 5170, Compaq Portable, and Tandy 2K. A Jr would fit right in.

Welcome and hope we can help.
alanh

Postby channelmaniac » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:45 am

There were pallets of them. You can probably still find some of the ones with termite destroyed boxes, but new contents.

Everyone thought the new in box Jrs ran out but then at the last event another pallet was found.
channelmaniac

Postby alanh » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:35 pm

damn. Can't get to Dallas anytime soon.
alanh

Return to Introductions