Hello from Southern Maryland

Say hello here!

Hello from Southern Maryland

Postby Fidoman82 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:39 am

Instead of buying a VW Bus to relive my misspent youth, I have decided to buy/build a replacement PCjr for the one I use to have in 82. I got it when they first came out. Got hooked on FidoNet, with my 300 baud modem. Could send mail and download programs from FidoNet Servers or Boards. I currently have a bid in for a PCjr, Monitor and Keyboard on Ebay with 4 days left. I have a crate of 360k disks with various Jr Software I will be happy to share. Games, utilities and maybe a Fidonet install suite. I would like to get 640k working with the addition of a sidecar of some sorts. I use to use Tecmar Captain Jr and replaced the Chips myself. I have software for that as well as old copies of DOS, utils etc. Looking forward to doing this and very much appreciate being part of this community. Charles Worth Dunkirk Maryland. Charles_worth@comcast.net
Fidoman82

Re: Hello from Southern Maryland

Postby Brutman » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:44 pm

The PCjr is cheaper but the Bus would be more practical. ;-0

I used Fidonet to send email to a friend who moved away from the neighborhood back in 1985. Fidonet (the mail part) is still around today! And of course BBSes still exist.

Take a look at http://www.brutman.com/mTCP for when you decide to take the PCjr online again.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Gremlin5 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:15 pm

Welcome to the site... :D

Were you able to get a PCjr? If not dont worry they seem to drop into your lap if you tend to wait, somehow over the last 1.5 years I was only looking to get one PCJr and now I somehow have 4 working units and 1 non working unit that I'm going to repurpose its case into a modern HTPC.
Gremlin5

Postby Fidoman82 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:54 pm

Yes, got a nice little 128k beauty. Orig Boxes (though little mouldy), manuals, Disks Momitor, etc. Even had the orig Packing/order slip. Fired it up works great. Next thing is to bring out my old 360's and see what I got. Thanks for asking.
Fidoman82

Return to Introductions