Everything about my PCjr experience is random.

Say hello here!

Everything about my PCjr experience is random.

Postby orangesherbet » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:51 pm

Hello all,
First of all, thank you for allowing me into this community. I wasn't surprised that there is a community like this, but I am surprised that it took me this long (over 20 years) to search for it! I found this forum through a google search, naturally, in my quest to search for a specific game, which I will post about in a different subforum.

My name is Dan and here is my PCjr story:
Growing up, I was always curious about electronics and fascinated by PCs. The first videogame I ever witnessed in person was on a PC, the only computer that existed in our K-6 school. The game was some sort of "Math Blaster" type of game and the students who were interested in the computer would be allowed one at a time to try it for 10 minutes at a time. Hilarious now to think about it!

My curiosity led me to mess around with the computers at home, and eventually, when my parents were sick of me asking to use their computers, they managed to get a family friend to donate an older PC to us..... that is where the PCjr came in. I had a limited selection of software, including what must have been one of the early versions of Basic programming software. All I really wanted were the games, and some of my favorites from the time included Sopwith, some text adventure games, shoot-em-ups, etc. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to keep the computer when we moved and all of that hardware and software were lost, including cartridges, disks, and cassette tapes. We had owned a Commodore 64 at one time as well but my most fond memories were of the PCjr. I think that was because the PCjr was mine, and I wouldn't have any of that if not for the kindness of a family friend.

Thank you for reading.

-Dan D from Colorado
orangesherbet

Re: Everything about my PCjr experience is random.

Postby toddvernon » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:28 pm

Hey Dan D,

Hello from another Coloradoan! Its pretty fun to rebuild a system. Just finished, it took a while but pretty fun having a fully functional system again!

-t
toddvernon

Re: Everything about my PCjr experience is random.

Postby orangesherbet » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:24 pm

Hey Todd,
I definitely want to build a system once I am settled with my living situation- there is just something about the PCjr I can't escape!
orangesherbet

Return to Introductions