Archiving Jr Software to M-Disks

Open discussion for anything computer related

Archiving Jr Software to M-Disks

Postby Fidoman82 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:48 pm

So I have a PC running win7 with a open floppy Controller port on the MB. Got a ribbon cable and 5.25 drive from Ebay and in the next few days plan to hook it up I have a box of about 300 Floppy Disks of old DOS programs and Jr software. I will be going thru these for the first time in years. I want to create on my hard drive folders for each 360k Jr Disk (Including hidden Files). Afterwards Burn to my new M-Disk Drive for very long term storage. Does this sound like a good plan? Suggestions?
Fidoman82

Re: Archiving Jr Software to M-Disks

Postby KenG » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:57 pm

You might want to use disk image to create images of each disk and then a text file of the same name describing what is in the image. Maybe better yet a spreadsheet or database so you can search your library of disks.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby Fidoman82 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:57 am

Good Ideas thanks. I will look into finding a quick way for create Img files in windows. I am also going to add a hard drive to this machine with DOS for Booting a pure DOS environment.
Fidoman82

Postby Brutman » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:40 pm

When I did this I created both disk images and zip files of each diskette.

Disk images preserve the diskette structure, including the hidden areas and unused areas. Zip files are generally just easier to work with, but they might not be complete because of things like hidden files.

For original software disks I also scanned the label and saved it along with the images and zips of each diskette. I should have done that for every diskette.
Brutman
Site Admin

Return to General Computer Discussions