PC DOS 5 Editor

Software related questions

Re: PC DOS 5 Editor

Postby jmetal88 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:17 am

Brutman wrote:My bad - the official DOS edit.com does indeed use QuickBasic. edit.com is only 413 bytes.

So now I'm wondering what other file called EDIT.COM I was confusing it with ...

(/me slinks back to my hole ...)

I *think* the "MS-DOS 7" version of EDIT.COM that came with Windows 95/98 was able to run without QBASIC. You may be thinking of that.
jmetal88

Postby bagelswitch » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:55 pm

bagelswitch wrote:Was fixbas.sys ever posted anywhere (or is anyone willing to share it)? I'm having the same problem with edit.exe reported here (doubled keystrokes), and would like to use edit (rather than other, working editors) under DOS 5 for purely nostalgic reasons :)

For anyone who may care and didn't already know this, the JRHOTKEY and NOBEEP TSRs that you can find in various old archives both fix the double-character and other keyboard issues in EDIT.EXE and other programs. I found these in the course of trying (successfully) to fix Zeliard save game restores (Fn keys act "stuck") today, and I can now use EDIT as well - bonus!
bagelswitch

Postby RiverBoa99 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:09 am

bagelswitch wrote:
bagelswitch wrote:Was fixbas.sys ever posted anywhere (or is anyone willing to share it)? I'm having the same problem with edit.exe reported here (doubled keystrokes), and would like to use edit (rather than other, working editors) under DOS 5 for purely nostalgic reasons :)

For anyone who may care and didn't already know this, the JRHOTKEY and NOBEEP TSRs that you can find in various old archives both fix the double-character and other keyboard issues in EDIT.EXE and other programs. I found these in the course of trying (successfully) to fix Zeliard save game restores (Fn keys act "stuck") today, and I can now use EDIT as well - bonus!

Where can I find these JRHOTKEY and NOBEEP TSRs? I can't seem to find an archive for them.
RiverBoa99

Postby bagelswitch » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:15 pm

RiverBoa99 wrote:
bagelswitch wrote:

Where can I find these JRHOTKEY and NOBEEP TSRs? I can't seem to find an archive for them.
Attachments
NOBEEP.zip
(15.28 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
bagelswitch

Postby RiverBoa99 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 pm

For anyone who may care and didn't already know this, the JRHOTKEY and NOBEEP TSRs that you can find in various old archives both fix the double-character and other keyboard issues in EDIT.EXE and other programs. I found these in the course of trying (successfully) to fix Zeliard save game restores (Fn keys act "stuck") today, and I can now use EDIT as well - bonus![/quote]

Where can I find these JRHOTKEY and NOBEEP TSRs? I can't seem to find an archive for them.[/quote][/quote]

Thank you!

Do you have JRHOTKEY too?
RiverBoa99

Postby jscrow » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:18 am

I found JRHOTKEY in the PCjr Club Library that I had downloaded years ago. I didn't even know I had it ...
Attachments
JRHOTKEY.zip
(9.94 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
jscrow

Postby jscrow » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:18 pm

Not only does JRHOTKEY fix EDIT and Zeliard, I can now use my favorite screen saver on the PCjr!

Where before I could not exit the falling letters screensaver by pressing a key, adding JRHOTKEY to autoexec.bat has fixed this.
Attachments
fallscr.zip
(7.16 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
jscrow

Postby Hargle » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:11 am

Just typing out-loud here, but the keyboard fix this program performs could be added into the jrIDE BIOS as a permanent update.

" This program makes the PCJr keyboard interrupt routine (INT
09h) compatible with the PC keyboard interrupt routine. The
difference between the two is that the PC routine takes its
input from hardware port 60h while the PCJr routine takes
its input from the AL register (supplied by the PC
compatibility routine INT 48h). The PCJr compatibility
routine puts the converted key scan code into hardware port
60h just prior to calling the INT 09h routine. This routine
loads and keeps resident a small routine that ensures that
the BIOS INT 09h routine takes its input from hardware port
60h, thus creating strict PC compatibility."

The downside would be if one ever wanted to remove such a fix for true PCjr mode. Is there is any software that breaks when jrhotkey is running?

It would be more interesting to explore a full disassembly, patching, upgrading and replacing the mainboard BIOS to address these things than using jrIDE to do the job, but that's a thread for a different day.
Hargle

Previous

Return to PCjr Software