PCE Compatibility Cartridge

Software related questions

PCE Compatibility Cartridge

Postby jscrow » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:53 am

Does anyone have the PC Enterprises Compatibility cartridge and willing to dump the ROM?

You can do so using PCJRCART that is available here: http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/pcjr_downloads.html

I'm hoping to make a clone cartridge using the ROM image. I don't think the cartridge is PAL, so I think this should be easy using one of the modern cart kits that are currently available.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott
jscrow

Re: PCE Compatibility Cartridge

Postby Kablamabam » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:37 pm

Hi! So I have the PCE Combo Cartridge which is 3 cartridges in 1. One of them being the compatibility cartridge. I ran PCJRCART and got 5 files from it - zipped up and attached :)
Attachments
Combo Cartridge v3.0 (PC Enterprises).zip
(20.8 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Kablamabam

Postby jscrow » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:25 am

Awesome! Thank you!

I have the Combo Cart 2 which doesn't have the compatibility cartridge. I'll run PCJRCART on it to see what's different and post an update ...
jscrow

Postby jscrow » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:42 pm

Success! The D800.BIN file is the Compatibility Cartridge image. Once I figured out that I needed to remove the header that PCJRCART adds to the file, I was able to successfully burn to an EPROM! The new cartridge works perfect and jrCONFIG no longer displays Compatibility Cartridge not found :D

jscrow

Postby jscrow » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:36 pm

Here is the final product. I'm happy with the results and it will be a nice addition to my collection. Reading the manual, I'm surprised how much this cart does ... including allowing DOS 5 to boot without being patched! Thank you Kablamabam for the image!

jscrow

Postby Kablamabam » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:29 pm

Awesome! Please update us if you get DOS 5 to boot w/o being patched. I had no such luck trying to boot IBM PC-DOS 5 install disk 1. Same result with or w/o the cart. It tries to boot and just kinda freezes with a blank screen. Cheers!
Kablamabam

Postby Lumpy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:39 pm

I was not as successful with the files. I found and removed the PCJRCART header and burned the D800.bin to a 27C256 EPROM and plugged it into a Raphnet PCB but I just get a D8 memory error on boot.
Lumpy

Postby jscrow » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:25 pm

I used a 28C256 RW EPROM with the other cartridge PCB currently available. I have it set to CS5 but after reading the manual I now see that conflicts with Cartridge Basic. The original factory cartridge was set to CS2, but I think I'm going to leave mine as is ... will I ever have a reason to use both of these carts together?

jscrow

Postby Lumpy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:29 pm

I don't have any other EPROM or EEPROMs presently so I ordered a few to try. Also ordered a different PCB to try as well. Will see if either of those work.
Lumpy

Postby jscrow » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:39 pm

The 27C256 chip should work. I've attached the ROM image of my cart that works perfect for me... no header, just burn it to a 32k chip. Looking at the Raphnet PCB, it appears you need to set jumpers J8, J10, and J12 for cartridge select line 2 (CS2). Hope this helps!
Attachments
CompCart.BIN.zip
(5.53 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
jscrow

Next

Return to PCjr Software