Tandy graphics

Software related questions

Tandy graphics

Postby Vorticon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:35 am

Hi.

I have several games that support Tandy graphics, however, even though I have a functional Tandy modification on my PCjr, these games will give the error that a Tandy 1000 is not present. Does anyone here know what these programs are specifically looking for to identify if a Tandy 1000 is present or not? If it is a matter of some register setup, maybe I could setup the Jr using debug before starting the program, or write a small Turbo Pascal utility to that effect.
Vorticon

Re: Tandy graphics

Postby Brutman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:16 am

You need to disassemble the startup code to be sure, but there are a few standard things that programs usually look for:

• Machine ID byte. (Probably not a good candidate in this case.)
  • BIOS copyright date - only works on the PCjr because there was just one BIOS revision. ;-0
  • Copyright string in ROM - 'TANDY' might show up in the ROMs, and the code is probably looking for that.
  • An extra return code from a BIOS function that only the Tandy machines have.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:39 pm

If this is ROM or BIOS based, I don't see how a fix is possible...

Walid
Vorticon

Postby Brutman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:00 pm

In that case the game needs to be patched.

You disassemble the code to find where it makes the decision. And then you just hard code the branch to do what you need it to do.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:11 am

Yes, but easier said than done :) My 8086 assembly language skills are still embryonic, however I'll start poking around the code and see what I can find...
Vorticon

Return to PCjr Software