Zeliard - Keyboard problem?

Software related questions

Zeliard - Keyboard problem?

Postby jmetal88 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:53 pm

So, I stumbled across an awesome looking game called Zeliard today, and I found out that it (mostly) runs on the PCjr (Tandy modded, I'm not sure it will run without that).

One major problem that makes it unenjoyable: For some reason, when I press F7 to bring up the dialog to load a saved game, the game acts as if F7 is stuck down from there on in. By this I mean as soon as a saved game is loaded or I decline to load a saved game, the dialog pops up again! This happens over and over, and the only way to exit the game after this seems to be to reboot the computer.

Anyway, I guess I want to know, was anything ever released for the PCjr that was intended to fix this kind of problem? Or is there some way of patching programs that have this kind of issue with the keyboard (if it is indeed a keyboard related issue)?
jmetal88

Re: Zeliard - Keyboard problem?

Postby Chuckphd53 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:30 pm

I saw this post after I also posted

did you ever get the game to run, if so did you try the joystick?
(PCJR/JR-IDE-512DOM,TandyMod,V20-10Chip,BiDir,LPT2,3FlopBrd,
USBEmulator,ZIP100,PS2Keybrd,MouseSysMouse,InternalSwitcherPS)
Chuckphd53

Postby jmetal88 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:25 pm

No, I just gave up on it. :(
jmetal88

Postby bagelswitch » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:49 pm

This happens because the PCJr doesn't generate break scancodes for the Fn keys. You can fix it with the NOBEEP driver or TSR (attached), Zeliard then works fine.

Note that when restoring a save, I have to type the name for some reason (overwriting the default "Re-Start") - just selecting it on the right results in restoring to the beginning of the game.

NOBEEP.zip
(15.28 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
bagelswitch

Postby jmetal88 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:38 am

bagelswitch wrote:This happens because the PCJr doesn't generate break scancodes for the Fn keys. You can fix it with the NOBEEP driver or TSR (attached), Zeliard then works fine.

Note that when restoring a save, I have to type the name for some reason (overwriting the default "Re-Start") - just selecting it on the right results in restoring to the beginning of the game.

NOBEEP.zip

Ah, fantastic! I wouldn't have thought to try "NoBeep" for this problem.
jmetal88

Postby ZiggyTheHamster » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:29 am

Has anyone tried NoBeep in DOS 5? The executable writes gibberish to the screen and the device driver hangs the machine. This is on a jrIDE with jrconfig 3.
ZiggyTheHamster

Postby bagelswitch » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:30 pm

ZiggyTheHamster wrote:Has anyone tried NoBeep in DOS 5? The executable writes gibberish to the screen and the device driver hangs the machine. This is on a jrIDE with jrconfig 3.

Yep, that's the same behavior I see, although other than the gibberish, the TSR does work fine and does what it's intended to, as far as I can tell.
bagelswitch

Postby ZiggyTheHamster » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:05 pm

For me, the winning combination in autoexec.bat is:

NOBEEP /X /N /W >NUL:
ZiggyTheHamster

Return to PCjr Software