Write .IMG files to real disks on the PCjr

Software related questions

Re: Write .IMG files to real disks on the PCjr

Postby Tempest » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:58 pm

jmetal88 wrote:
Tempest wrote:Sorry I must have missed that.

I have a 720K drive hooked up to my PCjr, but I'm not sure how/if you can boot from it. It needs the backpack.sys driver to work and it defaults to the first free drive letter (C if there's no hard drive, otherwise D).

Doing the manual DEBUG worked on the hard drive, I can boot to DOS 5 shell. If someone has the DOS 5 files unpacked I can toss them on a 3.5" floppy and copy them over manually. Otherwise I'll either need 360K floppies or a way to expand them manually.


I can't remember the syntax of the command, but on the set of images I linked, Disk 3 has EXPAND.EXE which will unpack any of the files with an underscore at the end of the extension. So if you want to, you can copy the files off those disk images and use EXPAND.EXE to unpack them.

Could take a while, but that might be my best bet.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Re: Write .IMG files to real disks on the PCjr

Postby Tempest » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:23 pm

If I want to use dskimage to write one of these images to my 3.5" drive which is currently D (can't assign it to anything else yet because I don't have the assign command!), how would I do that? 3:80:2:9 didn't work (I thought 0 was A, 1 was B, 2 was C, and 3 was D). IMG2DSK wouldn't let me select anything by A or B.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Re: Write .IMG files to real disks on the PCjr

Postby jmetal88 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:36 pm

Tempest wrote:If I want to use dskimage to write one of these images to my 3.5" drive which is currently D (can't assign it to anything else yet because I don't have the assign command!), how would I do that? 3:80:2:9 didn't work (I thought 0 was A, 1 was B, 2 was C, and 3 was D). IMG2DSK wouldn't let me select anything by A or B.


Hmm... You know, I hadn't considered that. I don't think you'll be able to write the IMG file to your external drive because it's handled by a driver rather than the BIOS. Do you have another computer with a 3.5" disk drive you could use to write the image to disk, or do you only have external 3.5" drives available?
jmetal88
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:22 am

Re: Write .IMG files to real disks on the PCjr

Postby Trixter » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:57 pm

Tempest wrote:
Trixter wrote:I wrote the patching program; tell me what you're typing as input, and what the error is. The input should just be C <enter> or C: <enter> ...


It asked for the drive I wanted to patch (A,B,C) and I selected C. It then said error and hung. The only thing on the C drive at the time was the system files from Format /S.


Boot without your backpack driver and try again. Also, if you get an error, let me know exactly what the entire text of the error is.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:00 am
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: Write .IMG files to real disks on the PCjr

Postby Tempest » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:11 pm

jmetal88 wrote:
Tempest wrote:If I want to use dskimage to write one of these images to my 3.5" drive which is currently D (can't assign it to anything else yet because I don't have the assign command!), how would I do that? 3:80:2:9 didn't work (I thought 0 was A, 1 was B, 2 was C, and 3 was D). IMG2DSK wouldn't let me select anything by A or B.


Hmm... You know, I hadn't considered that. I don't think you'll be able to write the IMG file to your external drive because it's handled by a driver rather than the BIOS. Do you have another computer with a 3.5" disk drive you could use to write the image to disk, or do you only have external 3.5" drives available?

You know what, I do. I can do that on my DOS machine. Why didn't I think of that? I'll do that tomorrow.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Re: Write .IMG files to real disks on the PCjr

Postby Tempest » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:41 am

Ok I got everything over and expanded. However when I expanded the files it did not rename them so now I have to go through and rename them all to the correct name (mem.ex_ to mem.exe and so on). I know 90% of the files are either .exe, .com, or .sys, is there a quick way to just say rename all the .ex_ files to .exe? Otherwise I can do it by hand but it's going to be slow.

There are also some suffixes I don't know like gr_, ba_, cp_ anyone know what these should be?
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Re: Write .IMG files to real disks on the PCjr

Postby jmetal88 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:08 am

Look at PACKING.LST in a text editor. Under "720k Destination Disk Layout" it has a list of all the file names.
jmetal88
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:22 am

Re: Write .IMG files to real disks on the PCjr

Postby Tempest » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:27 am

That just tells what was on the disks, not the full names.

I looked on my DOS 6.22 box and all those extensions I didn't know stay that way (BA_ for instance) so I don't have to rename them I guess.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Re: Write .IMG files to real disks on the PCjr

Postby jmetal88 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:16 am

I promise you if you scroll down past the disk listing it tells you the full names. I was looking right at the file when I made that post.
jmetal88
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:22 am

Re: Write .IMG files to real disks on the PCjr

Postby Tempest » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:03 am

jmetal88 wrote:I promise you if you scroll down past the disk listing it tells you the full names. I was looking right at the file when I made that post.


I'll take another look tonight. Thanks. :)
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Previous

Return to PCjr Software

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests