Convert a .IMG or .360 to files using dosbox?

Software related questions

Convert a .IMG or .360 to files using dosbox?

Postby Sharkey1331 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:13 am

I have some games that are in a .360 format. I believe they are entire disk images.

I want to convert them to files using DOSBOX, so that I can FTP them to a real PCjr. The FTP software works and is proven, I just need files.

How can this be done? I searched the forum here, and there appears to be discussion on how to do this using a jrIDE and I guess moving the .IMG file to harddrive and then using the PCjr to turn it into a real disk. I don't have a jrIDE ready yet..

Ideas?

Jason
IBM PC Jr. NEWB! Parallel sidecar, Hotshot II (soon to be replaced with JRide)

Also, check out my clone of the Altair 8800micro Clone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y19zdzP ... yX5JoOO4qA
Sharkey1331

Re: Convert a .IMG or .360 to files using dosbox?

Postby jmetal88 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:37 am

I can't remember if it can be done with DOSBox or not, but if it can you'll want to look for information about mounting a floppy image as a drive in DOSBox and after you figure that out, just use DOSBox to copy the files over to a mounted directory on your hard drive.

In my opinion, it might be easier to do it in native Windows using something like ImDisk, though.
jmetal88

Postby Sharkey1331 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:10 pm

Tried ImDisk command line, and also WinRAR.. No dice..

Someone posted here, their exhibit of 3 IBM PCjr setups. They provided a link to their files- and King's Quest was there- but in a .360 image.. I also found boulderdash in the same format. Would love to try these games.. Anyone got ideas on how to make this image format usable?

Sharkey1331

Postby jmetal88 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:48 pm

ImDisk has a command line?

The program I'm thinking of (here: http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/#ImDisk) installs a virtual disk driver as a Control Panel icon. You open the control panel, tell it you want to mount a new disk image, select 'Floppy' as the type, and browse to wherever you have the image saved to select it. It works fine with 360k images for me.
jmetal88

Postby GHiero » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:42 pm

The files are standard disk images, but they are typically booters, so they don't have a file system that can be read by DOS. However, what you can do is to copy the disk image file over to your PCjr. and use a program called dskimage to recreate the floppy image on the PCjr.
GHiero

Postby jmetal88 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:38 pm

GHiero wrote:The files are standard disk images, but they are typically booters, so they don't have a file system that can be read by DOS. However, what you can do is to copy the disk image file over to your PCjr. and use a program called dskimage to recreate the floppy image on the PCjr.

Oh yeah, that's something I definitely didn't think about, haha. I haven't tried writing any of the booters to disk yet, but if I did, yeah, I'd want to write them to a physical floppy straight from the image.
jmetal88

Postby Sharkey1331 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:34 am

So, I have the standard 360kb floppy, and a small (100kb maybe) ramdisk from a hotshot2... I've got a jrIDE kit, but have not yet assembled it, or found a drive for it…

I'm guessing that with the set up I currently have, there's no way to expand these image files unless I use a different PC?

Sharkey1331

Postby jmetal88 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:35 am

Sharkey1331 wrote:So, I have the standard 360kb floppy, and a small (100kb maybe) ramdisk from a hotshot2... I've got a jrIDE kit, but have not yet assembled it, or found a drive for it…

I'm guessing that with the set up I currently have, there's no way to expand these image files unless I use a different PC?

If you have a PC with a floppy controller and the BIOS will let you set up a 360k drive, you can temporarily move your PCjr floppy drive to the other PC to write a disk, if you're desperate enough. You might have to boot up something like FreeDOS to get that to work if you're running Windows though, as Windows removed support for 360k disk drives I think when XP came out.
jmetal88

Postby Brutman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:13 am

Just to make sure our terminology is the same I am going to be painfully explicit.

A "booter" is a game that comes on a floppy disk that requires you to boot the machine from the disk to play the game. Examples of this are Kings Quest and Microsoft Flight Simulator. Most commercial games were sold this way. Very few let you boot DOS first and then load the game. Most "booter" type games do not have a DOS filesystem on them so you can't just read files from them and move the files around.

If the games are are "booters" then they are probably copy protected too. Copy protected games are a very different problem and none of the techniques discussed here are going to work for them unless the copy protection is removed.

A "raw image" or image of a diskette is generally a file that has all 360KB of the disk data in one file. Each sector from the disk is read and appended to the file. The order of reading and writing is generally agreed upon so that programs are compatible with each other. Otherwise, if one program chooses to read all of one side first before moving to the other side while another program chooses to read track-by-track while flipping sides, the saved data will all be there but in the wrong order. Raw image files only have the diskette information; there is no "meta data" that describes what is in the image.

Standard image files can not be created from copy protected disks. That is because they use DOS and BIOS functions to read and write the sectors and DOS can not deal with the copy protection schemes. There are programs like Teledisk that can preserve copy protection, but Teledisk does not make standard image files so it is out of scope here. (It also does not run on a PCjr.)

Image files also vary in size; it depends on what the original diskette was formatted to be. Common sizes are 160KB, 180KB, 320KB, 360KB, 720KB, 1.2MB, and 1.44MB. This does not count compression; the programs generally do not compress the images but you can use something like PKZIP to do that. (And you have to decompress before using the image.) IBM had a set of diskette imaging programs called LOADDSKF and SAVEDSKF; those combine imaging and compression in the same program and although the concepts are the same, they are not compatible with standard image file formats.

Here are some programs that read and write standard image files: rawrite/raread, ditu, and dskimage (my program).

----

VMware and Virtual box definitely let you mount image files onto a virtual floppy drive. So even on a machine without a floppy drive you can poke around at the contents of an image file. Both of those will also let you boot and use image files just like you had the really floppy disks. DOSBox probably has some capability as well.

Linux can read and write image files using the dd command. The mount command with the loopback option can be used to mount an image file, assuming it looks like a FAT filesystem.

Windows probably has shareware or other software that can mount floppy images too.

----

If you don't have a hard drive of any type on the PCjr but you have 640KB then create a RAM disk large enough to hold the image file. 370 or 380KB should do it. Then FTP the image file to the RAM disk. After that you can use ditu or dskimage to write the image file.

If you don't have enough memory then it is time to start soldering that jrIDE kit. It will give you the extra memory even if you don't have a hard drive to use with it yet. Or you can move the floppy drive over to your bigger system and create the images there. Or you can add a Zip drive, parallel port floppy drive, etc. to the Jr. The number of options out there is huge.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Hargle » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:05 am

I'll chime in too,
Your first task is to determine what types of game disk images you have, booter or DOS based- you may even have a mixture. Mike explained what each is. If you're working with KQ1 and boulderdash, they are most certainly booters.

DOSBox can directly handle disk images- if you have booter images, you can simply open a dosbox session, put the disk images in your "c:" drive and type "boot <filename>".
If your disk images are booters, leave them as disk images or write them back to actual floppies.

If you have DOS based disk images, winIMG can be used to open the image file and it will display the list of files. You may need to rename the file from *.360 to *.IMA or *.img first so winIimg recognizes the file type.
You can then drag-n-drop those files off the image onto your hard drive in any folder.
Hargle

Next

Return to PCjr Software