Looking for IBM Assembler for PCjr

Software related questions

Looking for IBM Assembler for PCjr

Postby Sharkey1331 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi guys!

I just got a book off eBay, "Beginner's Guide to Machine Language on the IBM PC & PCjr" (1985, Compute! Books).

They are using IBM Assembler for the examples.. Anyone know where I can get a copy of this?
IBM PC Jr. NEWB! Parallel sidecar, Hotshot II (soon to be replaced with JRide)

Also, check out my clone of the Altair 8800micro Clone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y19zdzP ... yX5JoOO4qA
Sharkey1331

Re: Looking for IBM Assembler for PCjr

Postby Brutman » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:14 pm

If it's that old it is probably the same product as the Microsoft Assembler. They will be interchangeable as IBM sourced their version from Microsoft.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Sharkey1331 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:25 pm

Dagnabbit.. You'd think there was still a huge market for people running assembler on ancient PCs.. Everywhere I've looked online, someone will either sell me an official MASM disc for $100.00, or, I can download something off of some super-shady looking site, and it turns out to not be an assembler.

Sharkey1331

Postby Brutman » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:31 pm

I can help you, but the problem will be with the book. The dead tree version needs to be converted to a PDF before the software can be useful.

If you can do without the book (like if you are using a textbook) then we can fix your problem.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Sharkey1331 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:27 am

That would be much appreciated!!!

I have the compute! book, that is using the IBM assembler for all of its examples- is that what you mean by textbook? Or is this kinda like DOS games in the '80's, where they'll have some form of copy protection like "enter the second word from the third paragraph on page 18 to continue" kinda thing?

Jason

Sharkey1331

Postby Brutman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:51 am

None of that stuff is copy protected; it's just nice to have the reference manual available.

I will dig and contact you offline.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Brutman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:22 am

For anybody else interested in ASM programming, "Assembly Language for x86 Processors" by Kip Irvine is a great textbook. Earlier versions used to include a copy of Microsoft MASM 6.11 which could be patched up to 6.14 to get rid of some nasty bugs. While that doesn't run on a PCjr, I think it runs under DOS and it can be used to create anything you need. (Look for an older version with the CD.)

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Trixter » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:37 pm

For those partial to Borland products, Mastering Turbo Assembler by Tom Swan is probably the best material.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby jharre » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:57 pm

Brutman wrote:For anybody else interested in ASM programming, "Assembly Language for x86 Processors" by Kip Irvine is a great textbook. Earlier versions used to include a copy of Microsoft MASM 6.11 which could be patched up to 6.14 to get rid of some nasty bugs. While that doesn't run on a PCjr, I think it runs under DOS and it can be used to create anything you need. (Look for an older version with the CD.)

Anybody know what editions to look for? I checked for this on Amazon and used versions of the 7th edition are over $100. Gulp!

Used 6th editions run about $60 and there is a 5th edition for about half that. Is there a huge difference between the editions for a hobbiest?

Jim
jharre

Return to PCjr Software