DskImage Error

Software related questions

DskImage Error

Postby jason » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:04 pm

Mike,
I'm using your DskImage utility to backup a bunch of my old disks. And I get peculiar behavior on a few of my 1.44 MB 3 1/3" disks. I'm running the program as "dskimage 01:80:02:18 disk1.dsk" And the disk lights up and runs for a few seconds, but then the floppy drive stops running entirely and never starts up again, but I get the following errors. Any ideas? On all my other disks, it runs fine, but these 3 in particular do this. Note that I can xcopy the files off of the disk just fine with no errors, and yet I can't seem to image it, it's almost like it's not trying.

Jason

DskImage: version 1.0 M. Brutman 2006-02-10

Source: 01:80:02:18
Target: disk1.dsk
Retries: 5

Press [Enter] to start ...

Reading 01:00:00:01
Error on 01:00:00:01 Rc = 0x02 Address mark not found
Could not get past error on that sector.
jason

Re: DskImage Error

Postby Brutman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:07 pm

Whew, I was beginning to think that this forum was completely dead ...

The error message says it has a read error on drive B, first track, first head, first sector. (Sectors are numbered starting from 1 instead of 0.)

What OS are you running under? I get some occasional weirdness if I run under Windows 2K because Windows tries to cache the contents of the floppy drive. If you are running under any form of Windows then eject the disk, hit Ctrl-C in the command window, and then reload the disk. It might be a myth now, but the Ctrl-C was supposed to tell the OS that the diskette drive buffers should be tossed away.

Xcopy might be working because that sector is the boot sector, and in normal operation it is not needed or ready by Xcopy. Xcopy will be going for the FAT (File Allocation Table), of which there are two copies for redundancy. Something had to read the boot sector at least once because most of the OSes read the media type byte from the boot sector, so I'm slightly confused ...

Either way, run a cleaning disk through the drive.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jason » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:56 pm

Brutman wrote:Whew, I was beginning to think that this forum was completely dead ...

The error message says it has a read error on drive B, first track, first head, first sector. (Sectors are numbered starting from 1 instead of 0.)

What OS are you running under? I get some occasional weirdness if I run under Windows 2K because Windows tries to cache the contents of the floppy drive. If you are running under any form of Windows then eject the disk, hit Ctrl-C in the command window, and then reload the disk. It might be a myth now, but the Ctrl-C was supposed to tell the OS that the diskette drive buffers should be tossed away.

Xcopy might be working because that sector is the boot sector, and in normal operation it is not needed or ready by Xcopy. Xcopy will be going for the FAT (File Allocation Table), of which there are two copies for redundancy. Something had to read the boot sector at least once because most of the OSes read the media type byte from the boot sector, so I'm slightly confused ...

Either way, run a cleaning disk through the drive.

The error repeats for every single sector, track, and head.

I am running it under Windows XP actually. Like I said, it works great for every other disk I have, but this one set of 3 (which are all part of the same set) has issues.

Could it be that these three disks have a slightly non standard format? All they are is Creative Labs drivers from an old Sound Blaster, an xcopies version is fine, but I like to xcopy and have an image of everything :mrgreen: .
jason

Postby Brutman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:23 pm

Kind of stumped - I've not seen that behavior before.

Can you send me the output of chkdsk? Does any other diskette imaging program work on it? I wonder if I'm missing an obvious feature that I should have. If another imager does work, please send me the image so I can figure out what is going on.

I have one known problem - XDF and DMF formatted diskettes don't work. I forgot why, but it was some really non-standard formatting of the tracks that causes it. (It's a combination of differing numbers of sectors per track and nonstandard sector sizes.)

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jason » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:22 pm

Brutman wrote:Kind of stumped - I've not seen that behavior before.

Can you send me the output of chkdsk? Does any other diskette imaging program work on it? I wonder if I'm missing an obvious feature that I should have. If another imager does work, please send me the image so I can figure out what is going on.

I have one known problem - XDF and DMF formatted diskettes don't work. I forgot why, but it was some really non-standard formatting of the tracks that causes it. (It's a combination of differing numbers of sectors per track and nonstandard sector sizes.)

Mike

Disk Copy Fast seems to image it just fine...weird, here is the chkdsk output. Other odd thing.. After I had DCF image it, now yours is working fine....hmmm. I'll keep looking into it.

Just a quick glance (I don't have a hex editor handy or a good binary diff tool under windows), the image I just made with dskimage looks correct compared to what I got from DCF, BUT the dskimage file is 1474560 bytes, but the dcf one is 1475072 bytes. :shock:

Any clues?

The type of the file system is FAT.
Volume DRIVERS created 4/28/1997 2:40 PM
Volume Serial Number is 0D68-15F5
Windows is verifying files and folders...
100 percent completed.....
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

1,457,664 bytes total disk space.
1,293,824 bytes in 35 files.
163,840 bytes available on disk.

512 bytes in each allocation unit.
2,847 total allocation units on disk.
320 allocation units available on disk.
jason

Postby jason » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:31 pm

And 1 more clue.

If I run it from the command prompt by hand it works just fine, but from my little batch file I created it won't work. *scratches head* All the more reason to believe I'm doing something wrong, lol. It works fine on all 3 of these disks...
And just to re-iterate, this batch file has worked fine on about 30 other disks, but just these 3 continuously give me issues.

Any clue as to why running from a batch file could be a problem? Could it be some sort of path name length issue or something odd? Here is my little batch file:

img144.bat
mkdir %1
xcopy /e /c /h /k /x /y b: %1 > %1.xrr
dir b: > %1.dir
dskimage 01:80:02:18 %1.dsk > %1.err
jason

Postby Brutman » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:11 am

Jason,

I have no good answer for you - it just might be a bug in Windows where it is caching something it shouldn't be. I'm not sure why those three diskettes bring it out.

The DCF file is 512 bytes too big. Does it do that on every diskette? DskImage doesn't add any meta data, but other programs usually do.

Just as an experiment there is another program called DITU that I patterned DskImage after. It can be found on my downloads page: http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/pcjr_downloads.html . Try to run that in the batch file in place of DskImage. The syntax is similar and the file format is the same. I'm curious to see if it has the same problem on those three particular diskettes.

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jason » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:36 pm

Brutman wrote:Jason,

I have no good answer for you - it just might be a bug in Windows where it is caching something it shouldn't be. I'm not sure why those three diskettes bring it out.

The DCF file is 512 bytes too big. Does it do that on every diskette? DskImage doesn't add any meta data, but other programs usually do.

Just as an experiment there is another program called DITU that I patterned DskImage after. It can be found on my downloads page: http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/pcjr_downloads.html . Try to run that in the batch file in place of DskImage. The syntax is similar and the file format is the same. I'm curious to see if it has the same problem on those three particular diskettes.

Mike

Mike, so far I haven't seen it with any of the other programs. If I close and restart my command prompt, usually things start working just fine again. Although some disks still seem to require me to run it manually from the command line instead of the batch file to get it to work. So far, I haven't been able to determine any ryme or reason to it.
jason

Postby Brutman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:11 pm

It has the class symptoms of an uninitialized variable. I've never noticed this behavior, but I'll go through the source code and make sure I'm scrubbing all of the variables to zero/good values at the start of the program.
Brutman
Site Admin

Return to PCjr Software