Having Trouble Installing DOS

Software related questions

Having Trouble Installing DOS

Postby Tempest » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:58 pm

My DOS 5 install on my PCjr got corrupted somehow, so I decided to reinstall it. At first I considered reinstalling DOS 5, but I couldn't remember exactly how to do it. I have a DOS 5 boot disk and two disks labeled DOS 5 (they should be patched), but after FDISKing the hard drive to create the partition it wanted to reboot and if I put the DOS 5 disk in it said it was a non-system disk, and if I put the DOS 5 boot disk in it just brought me right back to the the prompt (not sure if it actually did what it needed to or not). I seem to recall the last time I did this I had to manually copy all the DOS files over and unzip them into the directory. Anyone have more information on this?

So after that I decided to just go back to DOS 3.3. After booting my DOS 3.3 boot disk I FDISKed the hard drive, formatted it, and copied all the DOS disk contents into a directory called DOS. I then copied my autoexec.bat and config.sys along with a few other files (jrconfig, rtc, etc.) and rebooted. Unfortunately when I get to the JRIDE's boot menu and select my DOM hard drive nothing happens. The whole system just hangs. I checked with FDISK and the partition is set to active and is the primary DOS partition. If I use a boot disk I can go onto the C drive and everything looks good. Any idea what could be wrong? When I tried to also make an extended DOS partition on the drive and rebooted the DOS boot disk just kept resetting on me until I deleted the extended partition, I'm not sure what that indicated. I'd say that something went wrong with my JrIDE, but if that was the case how could I FDISK, Format, and access the hard drive? As far as I know there's nothing wrong with the system as games and utilities seem to work. I'm kind of stumped at the moment.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

--- AtariProtos.com ---
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
Tempest

Re: Having Trouble Installing DOS

Postby jmetal88 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Did you remember to use /S when you FORMATted the drive? Or SYS the system files over?
jmetal88

Postby Tempest » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Yep did that. It still freezes.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby jmetal88 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:12 am

Hmm. Well, you could always try erasing the partition table and starting over. I know I've had some similar drive problems due to partitioning multiple times when something from the old table didn't get fully overwritten, although that's usually because of going back and forth between DOS and Linux partition tools in my case. I can't remember what it is right now, but there's some simple chain of commands you can enter in DEBUG that destroys the partition table and forces FDISK to rewrite it.

Of course there's also FDISK /MBR that you could try but I'm having trouble remembering if DOS 3.3 honors that switch.
jmetal88

Postby Tempest » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:47 am

I think the problem may be my JrIDE. I managed to find my old hard drive that I used before I switched to the DOM and it booted right up. I thought my problem was solved, but when I was experimenting with getting both the DOM and regular hard drive hooked up at the same time (to copy data over) I started randomly getting crashes and now I get an ERROR A error when I boot up at the 128K mark (this is a memory error I believe). I think the extra memory on the JrIDE has gone bad or something.

I started a new thread about it here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=533&p=3943#p3943

I still don't know why it won't see either drive if I have the HD and DOM hooked up at the same time. Maybe the DOM needs external power since it's no longer the only thing on the IDE cable?

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Postby Tempest » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:43 pm

I finally got a power supply for the DOM and now my PC can see it. The DOM looks fine to me, I still don't understand why I can't boot from it though.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
Tempest

Return to PCjr Software