UCSD Pascal

Software related questions

UCSD Pascal

Postby Vorticon » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:03 am

Hi.
Has anyone tried running the IBM PC version of UCSD Pascal (version II) on the Jr by any chance? I'm trying to locate a copy but no luck so far. I'm currently using version IV on my TI 99/4A to create a chess program for that machine, and I would love to port the source code to the Jr eventually.
Vorticon

Re: UCSD Pascal

Postby Trixter » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:12 pm

I haven't because I've never been able to find UCSD Pascal for the PC. I've always wanted to try it; do you know of a download location?
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby Brutman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:11 pm

Turbo Pascal 3 will run on the PCjr. Pascal was fairly standardized back then, so unless you are doing something strange it should be a relatively easy port.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Trixter » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Yes, but he uses TP, it won't result in a bootable program (UCSD P-system used it's own operating system) ;-)
Trixter

Postby Brutman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:36 pm

Who said a bootable program was a requirement? I read it as he is creating a chess program in Pascal on the TI, and would like to port the source code to the Jr after it is done.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Trixter » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:09 pm

It's not a requirement; I was being facetious.

I would still like to get my hands on UCSD Pascal though. I've always wanted to create a bootable program with it.
Trixter

Postby Vorticon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:09 pm

I found the UCSD IBM disks on the UCSD Pascal listserv on Yahoo (attached to this message). They are image files that need to be converted to real disks using Dave Dunfield's Image Disk program. I have not had the chance to do so as of yet, but one of the listserv members confirmed that they will run on a Pcjr.

I already have TP version 5.0 on my Jr and it runs fine although I have only used version 3.0 (no units in that version) in the past. I still would like to run UCSD Pascal as well if for nothing else but for historical reasons though, as well as for the ease of porting a multi-unit program from one machine to the other. The unit structure in TP5 is different from UCSD Pascal.

-Walid
Attachments
IBM.zip
(136.41 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Vorticon

Postby Trixter » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks so much!! I've always wanted to try the real UCSD P-system. The disks you attached were version IV, which means it can take advantage of more than 128KB (the previous IBM version, version II, was limited to a single 64K code segment and a 64K data segment). Version II is the version that Wizardry was coded with.

If the goal is to port the program using any means necessary, and you have a jrIDE, I actually recommend you just go straight to Turbo Pascal 7. It is a great IDE (write, compile, debug, link, all within the IDE) and it runs great on PCjr.

If all you have is a 1-drive PCjr, then Turbo Pascal 3.x is what you want. The editor, compiler, and debugger fit on a single disk (although the debugger is not very friendly to use).
Trixter

Postby Vorticon » Tue May 03, 2016 8:02 am

So the good news is that UCSD Pascal runs perfectly fine on the PCjr, but it starts up in 40col mode for some reason. According to the general UCSD Pascal II docs, there's supposed to be a setup program that can allow you to change the terminal settings, but it's not on the disk images I have. The more serious issue I have is that while the system runs OK, it's not designed for single drive operation as it appears that the minimum configuration is 2 360k drives. I use 3 drives on my TI 99/4A to run it... Therefore, unless one can fit the source code on the system diskette, it's next to useless from a practical standpoint.
Bummer...
Vorticon

Postby Trixter » Tue May 03, 2016 12:49 pm

I think the assumption is that your development system would have 2 drives. That system doesn't need to be the PCjr...
Trixter

Next

Return to PCjr Software