PC DOS 5 Editor

Software related questions

PC DOS 5 Editor

Postby jscrow » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:22 pm

I finally built my second jrIDE sidecar and have PC DOS 5.02 running great on it. I'm having trouble using the DOS edit.com program... the keyboard gets wacky and I can't type anything. I'm using a PCjr keyboard. Is this a known issue? Is the PCjr keyboard incompatible? Any good alternatives to using the DOS Editor?
jscrow

Re: PC DOS 5 Editor

Postby Brutman » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:37 am

Distant memory says that edit.com doesn't work. Are you seeing double keystrokes for each key you hit?

I think there is a fixbas.sys device driver that fixes this, but it might be another device driver. I have to go looking to figure it out.

Any text editor that does not add weird control characters should work. (Word processors generally add control characters, so don't use them.)
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby jscrow » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:32 am

Yes exactly, double keystrokes at first then no response. I couldn't find fixbas.sys on the web ... do you have a copy? :)
jscrow

Postby KenG » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:39 am

If I remember correctly, Edit requires BASICA and doesn't work correctly with the basic in the PCjr. I use other editors, but I don't remember which one I like best or their names. I haven't used my jr in a while.

EDIT: I believe it is this one http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Xted
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby Brutman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:34 pm

KenG,

Edit definitely does not require BASIC in any form.

Jscrow: I'll get it posted. I'm away from home for the moment so it's going to be a few days. Fixbas.sys also makes it possible to run BASIC from the cartridge instead of using something like jrbasic that does the fix-up and relocation that is needed.
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby KenG » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:06 am

Brutman wrote:KenG,

Jscrow: I'll get it posted. I'm away from home for the moment so it's going to be a few days. Fixbas.sys also makes it possible to run BASIC from the cartridge instead of using something like jrbasic that does the fix-up and relocation that is needed.

OK, I remember it didn't work on my PCjr when I upgraded to DOS 5. I thought I got a message about BASIC, but it has been a while and my memory isn't what it used to be.
Enhanced PCjr with a jr-IDE (1GB DOM) and a parallel port side car with a compact flash reader and backpack 1.44mb floppy attached. Tandy video mod.
KenG

Postby bagelswitch » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:32 pm

Was fixbas.sys ever posted anywhere (or is anyone willing to share it)? I'm having the same problem with edit.exe reported here (doubled keystrokes), and would like to use edit (rather than other, working editors) under DOS 5 for purely nostalgic reasons :)
bagelswitch

Postby Trixter » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:13 pm

[quote="Brutman"]
[quote]

I could have sworn the MS-DOS 6+ EDIT.COM requires QBASIC.EXE in the PATH.
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Postby jmetal88 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:06 pm

Trixter wrote:
Brutman wrote:Edit definitely does not require BASIC in any form.

I could have sworn the MS-DOS 6+ EDIT.COM requires QBASIC.EXE in the PATH.

It absolutely does. EDIT.COM isn't even its own program, it just calls QBASIC.EXE in text editor mode.
jmetal88

Postby Brutman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:52 pm

My bad - the official DOS edit.com does indeed use QuickBasic. edit.com is only 413 bytes.

So now I'm wondering what other file called EDIT.COM I was confusing it with ...

(/me slinks back to my hole ...)
Brutman
Site Admin

Next

Return to PCjr Software