What programming environments run on a PCjr?

Discussions on programming older machines

What programming environments run on a PCjr?

Postby Franko » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:34 pm

Besides resuscitating my rusty Macro Assembler skills and playing around with some Basic programs, I was wondering what other programming environments run on a PCjr. I have 1980s versions of Forth and Lisp on old diskettes. I don't suppose Python has ever been ported to DOS? Flavors of C[+][+]?
Franko

Re: What programming environments run on a PCjr?

Postby Trixter » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:52 pm

Lisp is possible; I recall seeing lisp interpreters in the 1980s for PC. MASM and Cartridge BASIC are obviously ok, even if you only have a 128KB Pcjr. I have a jrIDE and that allowed me to program on it a few years ago with Turbo Pascal 7. Turbo C/C++ are candidates too. Pretty much any programming environment made in or before 1991 should work.

Python was born as a 32-bit program. It has, amazingly, been ported to DOS, but of course requires a 32-bit CPU to run: http://www.caddit.net/pythond/
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
Trixter

Re: What programming environments run on a PCjr?

Postby Brutman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:17 pm

I started with interpreted BASIC (Cartridge BASIC), then learned how to use the IBM BASIC Compiler to speed things up. (Which unfortunately never supported the advanced features of the PCjr ..) After that I moved to the Zbasic compiler which looked more like a structured programming environment and Turbo Pascal 3.02, which ran run on a single floppy system.
Brutman
Site Admin

Return to Programming