mTCP Updates (2011-01-02): New FTP Server

Discussions on programming older machines

Re: mTCP Updates (2011-01-02): New FTP Server

Postby Brutman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:55 am

Ah, neat - I was able to look at it this morning too. What was the fix?

That makes two verified PCjr FTP servers out there ...
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Setting the DMZ did the trick as you suggested. My only concern is that it apparently exposes my ports to the internet according to my router documentation, even though they are redirected to the PCjr's local IP address. Should I worry too much about it?
Vorticon

Postby Brutman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:32 pm

No, don't worry at all. Unless you are running some other server class software on that PCjr that I didn't write - then you'll be exposed. ;-0

I did notice a tremendous number of received packets vs. sent packets, so stuff is definitely being sent to your machine that isn't FTP related. The FTP server has the following security features:

• It only listens on your selected port (2021) for control connections
  • If it is listening for a data connection and one is made on a port, it has to match an active request from the user on the same machine
  • Unknown traffic on other ports is ignored.
  • The timeout period kills half-open and open connections

The worst thing that will happen is that somebody will 'DOS' your DOS machine. (DOS = denial of service) :-)

Mike
Brutman
Site Admin

Postby Vorticon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Hah! That would be funny wouldn't it :) In any case, I don't plan on keeping the server running on my Jr because I'd like to be able to use it for more fun stuff. I am going however to install it on my networked DOS machine in the basement which is usually on all the time and use it to distribute TI 99/4A related files. I also have a spare PC XT clone collecting dust which I might consider using too if I can find an ISA network card in my junk box...
Regardless, what you have done here is pretty amazing, and I hope the word spreads around because I am sure there are a lot of retro users that would be very interested in this software suite. Way to go!
Vorticon

Previous

Return to Programming