Diskettes and magnetic fields?

General discussions on the PCjr

Diskettes and magnetic fields?

Postby Franko » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:24 pm

I noticed somewhere in the IBM documentation on the PCjr a warning to keep the power supply unit a fair distance from the computer to avoid any impact on diskettes from magnetic fields.

Coincidentally, I just finished building a Prusa MK3 3D printer, and see in its documentation highlighted warnings to avoid use by those with pacemakers, etc, due to strong magnetic field in the printer's heating bed.

So this has gotten me a little paranoid. How far do I need to keep my PCjr and diskette storage from the 3D printer not to worry?
Franko

Re: Diskettes and magnetic fields?

Postby Chuckphd53 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:20 pm

I also have a few prusa printers..

they are referring to the servo motors, they give out a mag. field but you would need to get very close to do damage to a diskette, ie hold the diskette next to the servo.

If the diskettes stay a foot away you are fine,,, mostly it would take a direct meeting of magnetic device to the floppy , dont place diskette/cases next to any object that have a magnetic field, the JR power bricks, Monitors etc....

Normal common sense care is usually sufficient..

chuck
(PCJR/JR-IDE-512DOM,TandyMod,V20-10Chip,BiDir,LPT2,3FlopBrd,
USBEmulator,ZIP100,PS2Keybrd,MouseSysMouse,InternalSwitcherPS)
Chuckphd53

Re: Diskettes and magnetic fields?

Postby Franko » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Thanks. I figured something like that would be the case. It was just that the 3d printer's warning about pacemakers caught my eye.
Franko

Return to PCjr General Discussion